RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN URBANIZATION AND DENGUE HAEMORRHAGIC FEVER INCIDENCE IN SEMARANG CITY

DOI: https://doi.org/10.14710/geoplanning.3.1.67-76
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)

Article Info
Published: 30-04-2016
Section: Articles
Fulltext PDF Tell your colleagues Email the author
Unplanned urbanization can cause unhealthy urban environment, which in turn increases the population of mosquitoes carrying the dengue vector. Consequently, this would reduce the urban life quality because public health is an important aspect of it. The increasing incidence of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) in Semarang City has been alarming. In 2013, the incidence was 2,364 cases, which increased up to 89.11% from the 1,250 cases of 2012. So, it is necessary to study about what relationship is there between the level of urbanization and the incidence of DHF in Semarang. This study used quantitative and spatial approach. The unit of analysis is sub-district with time series data from 2006 to 2013. The analysis technique is spatial analysis through image interpretation, regression, and descriptive analysis. The level of urbanization has been measured through the variables of population growth, population density, land use change, and building density. The results have shown that there is no significant correlation between the level of urbanization and the incidence of dengue fever. The urbanization is acknowledged as influencing only about 28% of the DHF incidence in the city, while the other 72% has been influenced by other factors.

Keywords

Urbanization; Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF); Semarang City; GIS

  1. Isnu Putra Pratama 
    Diponegoro University, Indonesia
  2. Sri Rahayu 
    Diponegoro University, Indonesia
  1. Arta, F. S., & Pigawati, B. (2015). The patterns and characteristics of peri-urban settlement in East Ungaran District, Semarang Regency. Geoplanning: Journal of Geomatics and Planning, 2(2), 103–115. http://dx.doi.org/10.14710/geoplanning.2.2.103-115.
  2. Conroy, A. L., et. al. (2015). Host biomarkers are associated with progression to dengue haemorrhagic fever: a nested case-control study. Int J Infect Dis, 40, 45–53. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2015.07.027.
  3. Devaleenal, B., et. al. (2015). Dengue fever in Saidapet Health Unit District in Tamil Nadu: Trends from 2004 to 2011. Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health, 3(2), 94–98. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cegh.2014.07.002.
  4. Halder, A., et. al. (2011). Supervised and unsupervised landuse map generation from remotely sensed images using ant based systems. Applied Soft Computing, 11(8), 5770–5781. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2011.02.030.
  5. Health Department of Indonesia. (2013). Health Profile of Indonesia. Jakarta.
  6. Murugananthan, K., et. al. (2014). Demographic and clinical features of suspected dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever in the Northern Province of Sri Lanka, a region afflicted by an internal conflict for more than 30 years-a retrospective analysis. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 27, 32–36. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2014.04.014.
  7. Phung, D., et. al. (2015). Identification of the prediction model for dengue incidence in Can Tho city, a Mekong Delta area in Vietnam. Acta Tropica, 141(Part A), 88–96. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2014.10.005.
  8. Rigau-Pérez, J. G., et. al. (1998). Dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever. The Lancet, 352, 971–977.
  9. Semarang Central Bureau of Statistics. (2014). Kota Semarang Dalam Angka 2014. Semarang: Badan Pusat Statistik Kota Semarang.
  10. Vasquez Velasquez, C., et. al. (2015). Alpha tryptase allele of Tryptase 1 (TPSAB1) gene associated with Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF) and Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) in Vietnam and Philippines. Human Immunology, 76(5), 318–323. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.humimm.2015.03.009.
  11. Wu, P. C., et. al. (2009). Higher temperature and urbanization affect the spatial patterns of dengue fever transmission in subtropical Taiwan. Science of the Total Environment, 407(7), 2224–2233. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.11.034.