Relating Factors of Insomnia among Haemodialysis Patients
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Background: Insomnia is a sleep disturbance which commonly occurs in haemodialysis patients. Some factors contribute to insomnia in dialysis patients such as demographic, biological, psychological, lifestyle, and dialysis factors. However, there are limited studies which investigate the relating factors of insomnia in haemodialysis patients in Indonesia.
Purpose: This study aimed to analyze the relating factors of insomnia in haemodialysis patients in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia.
Methods: This study was a cross-sectional study which involved 102 samples recruited by consecutive sampling technique from two dialysis units in Semarang, Central Java. Data were collected by questionnaires and analyzed using Chi-square and multiple logistic regression to know the most relating factors of insomnia.
Results: The result showed that insomnia occurred in 63 respondents (61.8%). Further analysis indicated that insomnia was related to anxiety (p=0.034, OR=2.36) and age (p=0.049; OR=1.75). There was no relationship between insomnia and the other factors such as gender, education level, occupation status, marital status, haemoglobin level, smoking and coffee consumption habit, and dialysis factor (period of dialysis). Moreover, anxiety was the most relating factors of insomnia among haemodyalsis patients.
Conclusion: This study concluded that anxiety and age were independent factors related to insomnia. This study recommends that anxiety screening should be performed on haemodialysis patients. Anxiety in haemodialysis patients needs to be treated properly so that it will not develop into insomnia.
- Ahmed, S. E. S., & Gehan, A. Y. (2014). Effect relaxation techniques on quality of sleep HD patients. International Journal of Innovative and Applied Research, 2(7), 83-94. http://www.journalijiar.com/uploads/2014-07-31_102535_59.pdf
- Al-Jahdali, H., Khogeer, H. A., Al-Qadhi, W.A., Baharoon, S., Tamim, H., Al-Jehaili, F.F., … & Al-Sayyari, A.A. (2010). Insomnia in chronic renal patients on dialysis in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Circadian Rhythms, 2(7), 83-94. https://www.jcircadianrhythms.com/article/10.1186/1740-3391-8-7/.
- Chen, W.C, Lim, P. S, Wu, W. C, Chiu, H. C, Chen, C. H, Kuo, H. Y, ... Woods, H. F. (2006). Sleep behavior disorders in a large cohort of Chinese (Taiwanese) patients maintained by long-term haemodialysis. American Journal of Kidney Disease, 48 (2), 277–284. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2006.04.079
- Coccossis, M.G., Theofilou, P., Synodinou, C., Tomaras, V., & Soldatos, C. (2008). Quality of life, mental health, and health beliefs in haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis patients: investigating differences in early and later years of current treatment. BMC Nephrology, 9, 14. https://bmcnephrol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2369-9-14.
- Danielle, F. M. E. H., Mahamat, M., Francois, K. F., Patrice, H. M., & Gloria, A. (2017). Sleep quality haemodialysis. Open Journal of Nephrology, 7, 61-68. http://www.scirp.org/journal/ojneph.
- Elder, S. J., Pisoni, R. L., Akizawa, T., Fissell, R., Andreucci, V. E., Fukuhara, S ..., Saran, R. (2008). Sleep quality predicts quality of life and mortality risk in haemodialysis patients: results from the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS). Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 23(3), 998-1004. https://academic.oup.com/ndt/article/23/3/998/1829479.
- Feroze, U., Martin, D., Reina-Patton, A., Kalantar-Zadeh, K., & Kopple J. D. (2010). Mental health, depression, and anxiety in patients on maintenance dialysis. Iranian Journal of Kidney Diseases, 4(3), 173–80. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622304.
- Ishak, W. W., Bagot, K., Thomas, S., Magakian, N., Bedwani, D., Larson, D ..., Zaky, C. (2012). Quality of life in patients suffering from insomnia. Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 9(10), 13-26. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23198273.
- Kosmadakis, G. C., & Medcalf, J. F. (2008). Sleep disorders in dialysis patients. International Journal Artificial Organs, 31 (11), 919-927. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19089793.
- Krystal, A. D. (2012). Psychiatric disorders and sleep. Neurology Clinical, 30, 1389–1413. doi: 10.1016/J.Ncl.2012.08.018
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, M. S., Cho, S., & Kim, S. R. (2013). Association of depression and anxiety with reduced quality of life in patients with predialysis chronic kidney disease. Internasional Journal of Clinical Practice, 67(4), 363-378. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12020.
- Merlino, G., Piani, A., Dolso, P., Adorati, M., Cancelli, L., Valente, M., & Gigli, G. L. (2006). Sleep disorders in patients with end-stage renal disease undergoing dialysis therapy. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 21, 184-190. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16144846.
- Mucsi, I., Molnar, M. Z., & Rethelyi, J. (2004). Sleep disorders and illness intrusiveness in patients on chronic dialysis. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 19, 1815-1822. http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/7/1815.
- Mollaoglu, M. (2006). Perceived social support, anxiety, and self-care among patients receiving haemodialysis. Clinical Perspective. Dialysis & Transplantation, 35(3), 144-155. doi:10.1002/dat.20002
- National Sleep Foundation. (2015). Insomnia & Older Adults. Retrieved from https://sleepfoundation.org/.
- Notoatmodjo, S. (2014). Ilmu Perilaku Kesehatan [Health Behavior Science] (2ed.). Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
- Novak, M., Shapiro, C. M., Mendelssohn, D., & Mucsi, I. (2006). Diagnosis and management of insomnia in dialysis patients. Seminar in Dialysis, 19 (1), 25-31. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-139X.2006.00116.x
- Nutt, D., Wilson, S., & Paterson, L. (2008). Sleep disorders as core symptoms of depression. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 10(3), 329-336. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18979946.
- Ohayon, M. M., & Roth, T. (2003). Place of chronic insomnia in the course of depressive and anxiety disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 37(1), 9–15. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12482465.
- Pai, M. F., Hsu, S. P., Yang, S. Y., Ho, T. L., Lai, C. F., & Peng, Y. S. (2007). Sleep disturbance in chronic haemodialysis patients: the impact of depression and anemia. Renal Failure, 29(6), 673-687. doi: 10.1080/08860220701459642.
- Paparrigopoulus, T., Tzavara, C., Theleritis, C., Psarros, C., Soldatos, C., & Tountas, Y. (2010). Insomnia and it’s correlates in a representative sample of the Greek population. BMC Public Health, 10, 531. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-10-531.
- Perl, J., Unruh, M. L., & Chan, C. T. (2006). Sleep disorders in ESRD: markers of inadequate dialysis?. Kidney International, 70(10), 1687-1693.
- doi: 10.1038/sj.ki.5001791
- Reinhardt, J. P. (2001). Effect of positive & negative social support received and provided on adaptation to chronic visual impairment. Applied Developmental Science Journal, 5 (2). doi: 10.1207/S1532480XADS0502_3
- Rosdiana, I. (2011). Analisis faktor yang berhubungan dengan kejadian insomnia pada pasien gagal ginjal kronik yang menjalani hemodialisis di RSUD Kota Tasikmalaya dan Garut [Factors analysis related to the incidence of insomnia in patients with chronic renal failure undergoing haemodialysis in RSUD Tasikmalaya and RSUD Garut] (Master’s Thesis), University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia. Retrieved from http://lib.ui.ac.id/detail?id=20281435&lokasi=lokal#parentHorizontalTab5.
- Sabbatini, M., Minale, B., Crispo, A., Pisani, A., Ragosta, A., Esposito, R., ... Andreucci, V. E. (2002). Insomnia in maintenance haemodialysis patients. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 17, 852-856. http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/short/17/5/852.
- Sabry, A. A., Zenah, H. A., Wafa, E., Mahmoud, K., El-Dahshan, K., Hassan, A., ... Okasha, K. (2010). Sleep disorders in haemodialysis patients. Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, 21 (2), 300-305. http://www.sjkdt.org/text.asp?2010/21/2/300/60199.
- Smeltzer, S. C., & Bare, B. G. (2002). Textbook of medical-surgical nursing (11th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Szentkiralyi, A., Madarasz, C. Z., & Novak, M. (2009). Sleep disorders: impact on daytime functioning and quality of life. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research, 9(1), 49-64. doi: 10.1586/14737126.96.36.199
- Thomas, N. (2002). Renal nursing (2nd ed.). London United Kingdom: Elsevier Science.
- Unruh, M. L., Tamura, M. K., Larive, B., Rastogi, A., James, S., Schiller, B., ... Kliger, A. (2011). Impact of sleep quality on cardiovascular outcomes in haemodialysis patients: results from the frequent haemodialysis network study. American Journal of Nephrology, 33, 398–406. doi: 10.1159/000326343
- Vasiopoulou, C., Bourtsi, E., Giaple, S., Koutelekos, I., Theofilou, P., & Polikondrioti, M. (2015). Anxiety, depression, and QOL haemodialysis patients. Global Journal of Health Science, 8(1), 45-55. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v8n1p45
- Xhulia, D., Gerta, J., Dajana, Z., Koutelekos, I., Vasilopoulou, C., Skopelitou, M., & Polikondrioti, M. (2016). Needs of HD patients. Global Journal of Health Science, 8(6), 109-120. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v8n6p109
Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University as the publisher of this journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all forms and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any forms or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University.
Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in Nurse Media Journal of Nursing are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Agreement Form can be downloaded by click this link Copyright Transfer Agreement Form. The copyright form should be filled with respect to article and be signed originally and sent to the Editorial Office in the form of original email, or scanned document file (softcopy) to:
Sri Padma Sari (Editor-in-Chief)
Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University
Jl. Prof. Soedarto, Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275
Telp.: +62-24-76480919; Fax.: +62-24-76486849
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (preferable)