Pengaruh pemberian minuman lidah buaya terhadap kadar antioksidan total dan persentase lemak tubuh pada sindrom metabolik
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Background: Metabolic syndrome is related to glucose metabolism disturbance (hyperglycemia), lipid (dyslipidemia), high blood pressure, and central obesity. Metabolic syndrome implicates to heart attack, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and death. Aloe vera, well known rich of polyphenol and vitamin, has a pharmacological effect to improve insulin resistance, chronic inflammation, and oxidative stress.
Objective: To prove the effect of Aloe vera-based drink toward total antioxidant concentration improvement and body fat percentage reduction in metabolic syndrome subjects.
Methods: Thus study was pre-post randomized true experimental study with control group design. The subjects were divided by 2 groups, treatment group (n=19) and control group (n=19). Treatment group was given 165 g/d Aloe vera-based drink for 30 days. Both of groups were given nutrition education about metabolic syndrome management. Total antioxidant concentration and body fat percentage were assessed pre-post-test by ABTS and BIA respectively, while food intake and activity were assessed by 24-h recall and GPAQ respectively. Independent t-test and Mann Whitney test were used to compare before and after treatment between control and treatment group.
Results: Total antioxidant concentration significantly improved (p=0.00) in treatment group from 1.2 to 2.0 mmol/L, while total antioxidant concentration decreased from 1.4 to 1.3 mmol/L (p=0.074) in this control group. Moreover, there was significant difference of total antioxidant between treatment and control groups in the end of study (p=0.00). Furthermore, body fat percentage was reduced significantly from 32.8 to 32,4 mmol/L (p=0.005) in treatment group, while the reduction of body fat percentage in control group was not significant from 33.1 to 33,4 mmol/L (p=0.100). There was no difference of body fat percentage between two groups after intervention (p=0.358).
Conclusion: Aloe vera-based drink improved total antioxidant concentration in metabolic syndrome subjects.
- Ranasinghe P, Mathangasinghe Y, Jayawardena R, Hills AP, Misra A. Prevalence and trends of metabolic syndrome among adults in the asia-pacific region : A systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2017;17(101):1–9.
- Alberti, Sir GeorgeZimmet P, Shaw J, Grundy SM. The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Int Diabetes Fed. 2006;1–24.
- Bantas K, Yosef HK, Moelyono B. Perbedaan gender pada kejadian sindrom metabolik pada penduduk perkotaan di Indonesia urban. J Kesehat Masy Nas. 2007;7(5):219–26.
- Ervin RB. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adults 20 years of age and over, by sex, age, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United States, 2003-2006. Natl Health Stat Report. 2009;(13)(13):1–7.
- Pizent A, Pavlovic M, Jurasovic J, Dodig S, Pasalic D, Mujagic R. Antioxidants and metabolic syndrome antioxidants, trace elements and metabolic syndrome in elderly subjects. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14(10):866–71.
- Panahi Y, Sadat M, Khalili N, Naimi E. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of curcuminoid-piperine combination in subjects with metabolic syndrome : A randomized controlled trial and an updated meta-analysis. Clin Nutr. 2015;xxx:1–8.
- Hung S-P, Chen C-Y, Guo F-R, Chang C-I, Jan C-F. Combine body mass index and body fat percentage measures to improve the accuracy of obesity screening in young adults. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2017;11(1):11–8.
- Ahlawat KS, Khatkar BS. Processing, food applications and safety of Aloe vera products: a review. J Food Sci Technol. 2011;48(October):525–33.
- BPOM. Peraturan kepala badan pengawas obat dan makanan Republik Indonesia. Peraturan Kepala Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik Indonesia. 2005. p. 1–13.
- Balthazar CF, Pimentel TC, Ferrão LL, Almada CN, Santillo A, Albenzio M, et al. Sheep Milk: Physicochemical characteristics and relevance for functional food development. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2017;16(2):247–62.
- Riyanto, Chatarina W. Stabilitas sifat antioksidatif lidah buaya (Aloe vera var.chinensis) selama pengolahan minuman lidah buaya. Agritech. 2012;32(1):73–8.
- Kusnanto, Sriyono, Astuti DEP. Jus Aloe vera menurunkan kadar gula darah penderita diabetes mellitus tipe II. J Ners. 2008;3(1):14–20.
- Dahlan MS. Statistik untuk kedokteran dan kesehatan. 6th ed. Jakarta: Epidemiologi Indonesia; 2016. 137-271 p.
- Kaur J. A comprehensive review on metabolic syndrome. Hindawi Publ Corp. 2014;2014:1–21.
- McCracken E, Monaghan M, Sreenivasan S. Pathophysiology of the metabolic syndrome. Clin Dermatol. 2018;36(1):14–20.
- Meigs JB. The metabolic syndrome. Bmj. 2003;327(7406):150–4.
- Peña-orihuela P, Camargo A, Rangel-zuñiga OA, Perez-martinez P, Cruz-teno C, Delgado-lista J, et al. Antioxidant system response is modified by dietary fat in adipose tissue of metabolic syndrome patients. J Nutr Biochem. 2013;24(10):1717–23.
- Uize LOG. All-cause mortality associated with specific combinations of the metabolic syndrome according to recent definitions. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(9):2381–7.
- Mittal S. The metabolic syndrome in clinical practice. London: Springer-Verlag; 2008. 1-268 p.
- Mohamed EAK. Antidiabetic, antihypercholestermic and antioxidative effect of aloe vera gel extract in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Aust J Basic Appl Sci. 2011;5(11):1321–7.
- Njongmeta NLA. Extractability profiling and antioxidant activity of flavonoids in sorghum grain and non-grain materials (Disertasi). Off Grad Stud Texas A&M Univ. 2009;(May):1–232.
- Choi H, Kim S, Son K, Oh B, Cho B. Metabolic effects of aloe vera gel complex in obese prediabetes and early non-treated diabetic patients : randomized controlled trial. Nutrition. 2013;29(9):1110–4.
- Nadine S, Darrell H. Management options for metabolic syndrome. RN.com All Rights Reserv. 2016;1–53.
- Sigal RJ, Alberga AS, Goldfield GS, Prud’homme D, Hadjiyannakis S, Gougeon R, et al. Effects of aerobic training, resistance training, or both on percentage body fat and cardiometabolic risk markers in obese adolescents: The healthy eating aerobic and resistance training in youth randomized clinical trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2014;168(11):1006–14.
- Després J, Lemieux I, Bergeron J, Pibarot P, Larose E, Rodés-cabau J, et al. Abdominal obesity and the metabolic syndrome : contribution to global cardiometabolic risk. Arteroscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;27:2276 –2283.
- Pattyn N, Cornelissen VA, Eshghi SRT, Vanhees L. The effect of exercise on the cardiovascular risk factors constituting the metabolic syndrome: A meta-analysis of controlled trials. Sport Med. 2013;43(2):121–33.
- Devi N. Nutrition and food: Gizi untuk keluarga. Jakarta: Kompas; 2010. 41-9 p.
- Bashipour F, Ghoreishi SM. Response surface optimization of supercritical CO2extraction of α-tocopherol from gel and skin of Aloe vera and almond leaves. Vol. 95, Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 2014. p. 348–54.
- Abo-Youssef AMH, Messiha BAS. Beneficial effects of Aloe vera in treatment of diabetes: Comparative in vivo and in vitro studies. Bull Fac Pharmacy, Cairo Univ [Internet]. 2013;51(1):7–11.
- Odegaard JI, Chawla A. Pleiotropic actions of insulin resistance and inflammation in metabolic homeostasis. NIH Public Access. 2014;339(6116):172–7.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Jurnal Gizi Indonesia (The Indonesian Journal of Nutrition) and Department of Nutrition Science, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Diponegoro as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from Jurnal Gizi Indonesia (The Indonesian Journal of Nutrition).
Jurnal Gizi Indonesia (The Indonesian Journal of Nutrition), Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Diponegoro, the Editors and the Advisory Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the Indonesian Journal of Nutrition are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.