Improving Self-Efficacy and Physical Self-Reliance of Patients with Pulmonary Tuberculosis through Mindfulness
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Background: Patients with pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) have a low level of medication adherence due to long care terms, side effects of medication and self-awareness. This awareness can be promoted by practicing mindfulness.
Purpose: The study aimed to analyze the improvement of self-efficacy and self-reliance of patients with pulmonary TB through mindfulness intervention.
Methods: This study employed a quasi-experiment with pre-post-test group design. The sampling technique was purposive sampling with 19 patients in the intervention group and 19 patients in the control group. The intervention given was mindfulness. The data were analyzed using the Wilcoxon and delta tests.
Results: The study showed an increase of self-efficacy and physical self-reliance in patients in the intervention group with a p-value of <0.05. In the intervention group, there were differences in the activities of taking medication, eating, sleeping, preventing infection, practicing and coping with physical symptoms before and after the intervention. Furthermore, the patients in the intervention group also showed differences in their increased confidence to recover. Mindfulness intervention provided good effects on the patients in the intervention group as it helped them develop more awareness.
Conclusion: Mindfulness intervention improved the self-efficacy and physical self-reliance of the patients with pulmonary TB. This study recommends that nurses should apply mindfulness to promote the awareness of the patients.
- Adicondro, N., &Purnamasari, A. (2011). Efikasi diri, dukungan sosial keluarga dan self-regulated learning pada siswa kelas VIII [Self-efficacy, family social support and self-regulated learning in students of eight grade]. Humanitas, 8(1), 17-27.
- Beatriks N., B. & Indra, Y. K. (2015). Efikasi diri dan pengukurannya pada orang usia lanjut [self-efficacy and its assessment in elderly]. Seminar Nasional Educational Wellbeing. UMK.
- Cardaciotto, L., Herbert, J. D., Forman, E. M., Moitra, E., & Farrow, V. (2008). The assessment of present-moment awareness and acceptance: the Philadelphia mindfulness scale. Assessment, 15(2), 204-223.
- Chiesa, A. & Serretti, A. (2011). Mindfulness-based interventions for chronic pain: A systematic review of the evidence. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 17(1), 83-93. DOI : 10.1089/acm.2009.0546.
- Creswell J. D., Myers H. F., Cole S. W., & Irwin, M. R. (2009). Mindfulness meditation training effects on CD4+ T lymphocytes in HIV-1 infected adults: A small randomized controlled trial single-blind randomized controlled trial. Brain, Behaviour, and Immunity. 23 (2), 184-188.
- Davis, D. M., & Hayes, J. A. (2011). What are the benefits of mindfulness? A practice review of psychotherapy-related research. Psychotherapy, 48(2), 198-208. DOI: 101037/a0022062.
- Dwidiyanti, M. (2014). Intervensi keperawatan holistik program Sowan melalui target sehat mandiri pada pasien TB paru [Intervention of holistic program of SOWAN through independent health card in pulmonary TB patients]. Konferensi Nasional PPNI Jawa Tengah [Proceeding of National Conference of PPNI of Central Java]. http://jurnal.unimus.ac.id/index.php/psn12012010/article/view/1119/1173
- Erawatyningsih, E., Purwanta, & Subekti, H. (2009). Faktor-Faktor yang mempengaruhi ketidakpatuhan berobat pada pasien tuberculosis paru [Factors influencing non-adherence to medication of patients with pulmonary TB]. Berita Kedokteran Masyarakat, 25 (3), 117-124.
- Herawanti, H.. (2016). Pengaruh pelatihan mindfulness service terhadap sikap pelayanan prima [Effects of mindfulness service on the behaviors of service excellence]. Unpublished Thesis of the Muhammadiyah University of Surakarta.
- Kartasasmita, S. (2013). Hubungan kepribadian big five (Neo-Pi) dengan mindfulness pada mahasiswa [Relationship between big five personality and mindfulness in university students]. A Conference Paper, Universitas Tarumanegara.
- Keng, S. L., Smoski, M. J., & Robin, C. J. (2011). Effects of mindfulness on psychological health: A review of empirical Studies. Clinical Psychology Review. 31(6), 1041–1056.
- Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia (MHRI). (2016). Infodatin_TB. Retrieved April 14, 2016, from http://www.depkes.go.id/resources/download/pusdatin/infodatin/infodatin_tb.pdf
- Norris, S. L., Nichols, P. J., Caspersen, C. J., Glasgow, R. E., Engelgau, M. M., Jack Jr, L.,… McCulloch, D. (2003). Increasing diabetes self-management education in community settings. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 22(4), 39-66.
- Olson, K. L. L., & Emery, C. F. (2015). Mindfulness and weight loss: A systematic review. Psychosomatic Medicine, 77, 59-67. DOI: 0033-3174/15/7701-0059.
- Orem, D. E. (2001). Nursing Concepts of practice. Michigan: Mosby.
- Rukmini, & Chatarina, U. W. (2014). Kejadian TB paru dewasa di Indonesia (analisis data riset kesehatan dasar Tahun 2010) [Incidence of pulmonary TB in adults in Indonesia. (An analysis of basic health research year 2010)]. Buletin Penelitian Sistem Kesehatan, 14(4), 320-331.
- Rusadi, M. (2012). Hubungan pengetahuan dengan kegagalan pengobatan tuberculosis di Puskesmas Antang Kecamatan Manggala Kota Makassar [Relationship between knowledge and treatment failure of tuberculosis at primary health center]. Unpublished thesis. Universitas Hasanudin Makasar.
- Salmon, P., Sephton, I., Weissbecker, I., Hoover, K., Ulmer, K., & Jamie, L. (2004). Mindfulness meditation in clinical practice. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 11, 434-446.
- WHO. (2013). WHO Report on Global Tuberculosis Control. Retrieved April 16, 2016, from http://www.who.int/tb/data.
Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University as the publisher of this journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all forms and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any forms or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University.
Nurse Media Journal of Nursing and Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in Nurse Media Journal of Nursing are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Agreement Form can be downloaded by click this link Copyright Transfer Agreement Form. The copyright form should be filled with respect to article and be signed originally and sent to the Editorial Office in the form of original email, or scanned document file (softcopy) to:
Sri Padma Sari (Editor-in-Chief)
Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University
Jl. Prof. Soedarto, Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275
Telp.: +62-24-76480919; Fax.: +62-24-76486849
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (preferable)