Modeling and Experimental Validation of a Transient Direct Expansion Heat Pump
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Geothermal heat pump technology is currently one of the most interesting technologies used to heat buildings. There are two designs used in the industry: geothermal heat pump using a secondary ground loop and Direct Expansion (DX) ground source heat pump. The latter is less used, possibly because less research has been carried out for the design of this kind of heat pump. In this paper, a transient model using the Comsol Multiphysic of a DX ground heat pump is presented in heating mode with R22, and a comparison with experimental results is presented with a 24-hour test. It is shown that the model was adequately validated by our experiment with only a maximum difference of 15%. Following this validation, a parametric analysis was realised on the geometry of the borehole. This study concluded that to have the best heat extraction of the ground, the pipes shank spacing need to be important without increasing the borehole diameter.
Article History: Received January 16th 2017; Received in revised form May 28th 2017; Accepted June 6th 2017; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Rousseau, C., Fannou, J.L.C., Lamarche, L. and Kajl, S. (2017) Modeling and Experimental Validation of a Transient Direct Expansion Heat Pump. International Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 6(2), 145-155.
- Geothemal heat pump manufacturing activites 2009, in: U.S.D.o. Energy (Ed.), Washington, D.C. 20585, 2010.
- Austin, B.T., Sumathy, K., 2011, Parametric study on the performance of a direct-expansion geothermal heat pump using carbon dioxide. Applied Thermal Engineering 31, 3774-3782.
- Beauchamp, B., Modélisation et validation expérimentale d'une pompe à chaleur géothermique à expansion directe, in, 2011.
- Beauchamp, B., Lamarche, L., Kajl, S., 2013, A Numerical Model of a U-Tube Vertical Ground Heat Exchanger Used as an Evaporator. Journal of Energy and Power Engineering 7, 237-249.
- Belzile, P., Lamarche, L., Rousse, D.R., 2016, Semi-analytical model for geothermal borefields with independent inlet conditions. Geothermics 60, 144-155.
- Capozza, A., De Carli, M., Zarrella, A., 2012, Design of borehole heat exchangers for ground-source heat pumps: A literature review, methodology comparison and analysis on the penalty temperature. Energy and Buildings 55, 369-379.
- Chen, J.C., 1966, Correlation for Boiling Heat Transfer to Saturated Fluids in Convective Flow. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Process Design and Development 5, 322-329.
- Esen, H., Inalli, M., 2009, Modelling of a vertical ground coupled heat pump system by using artificial neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications 36, 10229-10238.
- Eslami-Nejad, P., Ouzzane, M., Aidoun, Z., 2014, Modeling of a two-phase CO2-filled vertical borehole for geothermal heat pump applications. Applied Energy 114, 611-620.
- Fannou, J.-L., Rousseau, C., Lamarche, L., Kajl, S., Modeling And Analysis Of A Direct Expansion Geothermal Heat Pump (Dx): Part II-Modeling Of Water-Refrigerant Exchanger, in: COMSOL Conference, Boston, 2012.
- Fannou, J.-L.C., Rousseau, C., Lamarche, L., Stanislaw, K., 2014, Experimental analysis of a direct expansion geothermal heat pump in heating mode. Energy and Buildings 75, 290-300.
- Freund, E.A., Whitlow, G.S., 1959, Earth source heat pumps: characteristics, design, and operation. American Institute of Electrical Engineers -- Transactions -- Applications and Industry 77, 540-550.
- Garimella, S., Christensen, R.N., 1995a, Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Spirally Fluted Annuli: Part I—Hydrodynamics. Journal of Heat Transfer 117, 54-60.
- Garimella, S., Christensen, R.N., 1995b, Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Spirally Fluted Annuli: Part II—Heat Transfer. Journal of Heat Transfer 117, 61-68.
- Gnielinski, V., 1975, New equations for heat and mass transfer in the turbulent flow in pipes and channels. Forschung im Ingenieurwesen 41, 8.
- Goulburn, J.R., Fearon, J., 1978, Deep ground coil evaporators for heat pumps. Applied Energy 4, 293-313.
- Goulburn, J.R., Fearon, J., 1983, DOMESTIC HEAT PUMP WITH DEEP HOLE GROUND SOURCE EVAPORATOR. Applied Energy 14, 99-113.
- Halozan, H., 2011, Ground-Source Heat Pumps - Overcoming Market and Technical Barriers.
- Hellström, G., 1991. Ground heat storage: thermal analyses of duct storage systems, Department of Mathematical Physics, Lund Univ.
- Koyama, S., Miyara, A., Takamatsu, H., Fujii, T., 1990, Condensation heat transfer of binary refrigerant mixtures of R22 and R114 inside a horizontal tube with internal spiral grooves. International Journal of Refrigeration 13, 256-263.
- Ndiaye, D., Bernier, M., 2010, Dynamic model of a hermetic reciprocating compressor in on–off cycling operation (Abbreviation: Compressor dynamic model). Applied Thermal Engineering 30, 792-799.
- Rousseau, C., Comlan Fannou, J.-L., Lamarche, L., Ouzzane, M., Kajl, S., 2015, Modeling and experimental validation of a transient direct expansion geothermal heat exchanger. Geothermics 57, 95-103.
- Ruiz-Calvo, F., Montagud, C., 2014, Reference data sets for validating GSHP system models and analyzing performance parameters based on a five-year operation period. Geothermics 51, 417-428.
- Self, S.J., Reddy, B.V., Rosen, M.A., 2013, Geothermal heat pump systems: Status review and comparison with other heating options. Applied Energy 101, 341-348.
- Smith, G.S., 1956, Intermittent ground grids for heat pumps. Heating, Piping and Air Conditioning 28, 127-133.
- Underwood, C.P., 14 - Heat pump modelling A2 - Rees, Simon J, in: Advances in Ground-Source Heat Pump Systems, Woodhead Publishing, 2016, pp. 387-421.
- Vargas, J.V.C., Parise, J.A.R., 1995, Simulation in transient regime of a heat pump with closed-loop and on-off control. International Journal of Refrigeration 18, 235-243.
- Wang, H., Zhao, Q., Wu, J., Yang, B., Chen, Z., 2013, Experimental investigation on the operation performance of a direct expansion ground source heat pump system for space heating. Energy and Buildings 61, 349-355.
- White, S.D., Yarrall, M.G., Cleland, D.J., Hedley, R.A., 2002, Modelling the performance of a transcritical CO2 heat pump for high temperature heating. International Journal of Refrigeration 25, 479-486.
- Xiaotao, W., Chongfang, M., Yuanwei, L., 2009, An experimental study of a direct expansion ground-coupled heat pump system in heating mode. International Journal of Energy Research 33, 1367-1383.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.