Optimization of Concentration and EM4 Augmentation for Improving Bio-Gas Productivity from Jatropha curcas Linn Capsule Husk
Most literature suggests that two-phase digestion is more efficient than single-phase. The series of two-phase digestion studies have been conducted from 2011 to 2013 at the research farm of PT Bumimas Ekapersada, West Java, Indonesia. This paper reports on a research on optimation of concentration and augmentation of EM-4 (effective microorganism-4), a local commercial decomposer, as efforts to stabilize a biogas technology which made from husk capsules of Jatropha curcas Linn (DH-JcL). The studies of increasing organic loading rate (OLR) for the two-phase digestion was conducted to improve efficiency. The concentration variable studied was 1: 8 (1 part DH-JCL and 8 parts water), compared to 1: 12 as a control. The augmentation treatment is the addition of EM-4 by 5% (v/v). It was also examined the augmentation of F2-EM4 (150 times duplication of EM-4) due to cost consideration. The studies were conducted in the laboratory which using a liter and two liters of glass digester and glass wool as immobilized growth. The results of this study support the previous studies: the optimum concentration was 1: 8, EM-4 was able to increase biogas production in two-phase digestion, yet biogas production decrease at single-phase. F2-EM4’s ability to support production of biogas were equivalent to that of EM-4.
- Benzah, E.C., Atwi, E., & Ahiekpor, J. C. (2010) Improving Sanitation in Ghana : Role of Sanitary Biogas Plants, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 5 (2), p. 125 – 13
- Budiyono & Kusworo, T. D. (2011) Biogas Production from Cassava Starch Effluent Using Microalgae as Biostabilisator, J. of Sci. and Eng., Vol. 2(1), 4 – 8
- Dennis, A. & Burke, P. E. (2001) Dairy Waste Anaerobic Digestion Handbook, Environmental Energy Company. 20p.
- Elisa, S. (2010) Pengaruh Rasio EM4 dan Urea Terhadap Pembuatan Biogas Dari Campuran Limbah Industri Tahu dan Eceng Gondok, Research Report, Politeknik Negeri Sriwijaya.
- Fang, C. (2010) Biogas Production from Food-Processing Industrial Wastes by Anaerobic Digestion, PhD Thesis, DTU Environment Department of Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Denmark
- Fang, H., Wenrong, H., & Zhong, L. Y. (2004) Biodegradation Mechanisms and Kinetics of Azo Dys 4BS by a Microbial Consortium, Chemosphere, No.57, p: 293 - 301.
- Gerardi, M. H. (2003) The Microbiology of Anaerobic Digesters, Waste Water Microbiology Series, A John Wiley & Sons, Inc Publications
- Hendroko, R.S., Liwang, T., Salafudin, Praptiningsih, G.A., Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., & Wahono, S. K. (2012 a) Sinergi Bio-Metana Berbahan Baku Limbah Jatropha curcas L. dan Pangan Dalam Penerapan Program Kawasan Rumah Pangan Lestari, Collaboration Simposium and Seminar for Support of Food Sovereignty and Sustainable Energy, Bogor, May 1st -2nd, 2012
- Hendroko, R.S., Wahyudi, A., Sitomurang, E. C., Toruan, N., & Wahono, S. K. (2012 b) Bacteria Biodiversity In Cow Dung, Capsule Husk And Seed Cake of Jatropha curcas Linn Anaerobic Digesters, International Biology Conference - ITS, December 6th, 2012, Surabaya
- Hendroko, R.S. (2013) Teknologi biogas. In : Teknologi energi biomassa, Teaching materials of postgraduate renewable energy, Darma Persada University, Jakarta. Unpublished
- Hendroko, RS., Liwang, T., Salafudin, Praptiningsih, G. A., Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., & Wahono, S. K. (2013 a) The Modification for Increasing Productivity at Hydrolysis Reactor with Jatropha curcas Linn Capsule Husk as Bio-Methane Feedstocks at Two Stage Digestion, Energy Procedia, 32 (2013), p: 47 – 54
- Hendroko, R.S., Wahono, S. K., Wahyudi, A., Praptiningsih, G.A., Liwang, T., Salafudin, & Sasmito, A. (2013 b) Studies on Augmentation : Recirculation Slurry and EM-4 to Boost Biogas Production From Jatropha curcas Linn Husk Capsule in Two Stage Digestion, Proceeding on National Seminar of Kimia UGM, ISSN : 2338-2368, Yogyakarta. 17th May 2013
- Hendroko, R.S., Wahyudi, A., Wahono, S. K., Praptiningsih G. A., Salafudin, & Liwang, T. (2013 c) Bio-refinery Study in Crude Jatropha Oil Process : Co-digestion Sludge of Crude Jatropha Oil and Capsule Husk Jatropha curcas Linn as Biogas Feedstocks, The 13th International Quality in Research, International Symposium on Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, June 25th -28th, 2013
- Herawati, D.A., & Wibawa, A. A. (2010) Pengaruh Pretreatment Jerami Padi pada Produksi Biogas dari Jerami Padi dan Sampah Sayur Sawi Hijau Secara Batch, Rekayasa Proses Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1
- Hutnan, M., Drtil, M., Derco, J., Mrafkova, L., Hornak, M., & Mico, S. (2001) Two-Step Pilot-Scale Anaerobic Treatment of Sugar Beet Pulp, Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 10, No. 4, p: 237 – 243.
- Kamaruddin, A., Abdul, K. L., Siregar, N., Agustina, E., Almansyah, M., Yamin, Edy, H., & Purwanto, Y. A. (1995) Energi dan Listrik Pertanian, Academic Development of The Graduate Program, IPB, Bogor.
- Manurung, R. (2004) Proses Anaerobik Sebagai Alternatif Untuk Mengolah Limbah Sawit. Article on Repository Chemical Engineering department, Engineering Faculty, North Sumatara University, Medan.
- Praptiningsih, G. A., Liwang, T., Salafudin, Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., & Hendroko, R.S. (2011) Study Optimization of Jatropha Fruit Coat Hydrolysis Phase in Two Stage Anaerobic Digestion, International Conference and Exhibition on Sustainable Energy and Advanced Materials, October 3rd – 4th, 2011, Solo
- Praptiningsih, G. A, Liwang, T., Salafudin, Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., Wahono, S. K., & Hendroko, R.S. (2012) Kajian Optimasi Konsentrasi dan Waktu Tunda Panen di Reaktor Hidrolisis Berbahan Baku Limbah Jatropha curcas L. Dalam Pencernaan Anaerobik Sistem Dua Tahap, National Seminar on Technology Process Inovation and Product Based on Indonesian Natural Resources, April 25th, 2012, Parahyangan University, Bandung
- Praptiningsih G. A., Elyana, F., Hendroko, R.S., & Liwang, T. (2013 a) Pengelolaan Terpadu Biogas Berbahan Baku Limbah dan Peningkatan Produksi Tanaman Padi (Oryza sativa) Dalam Menunjang Kemandirian Pangan dan Energi Berbasis Pertanian, National Seminar on Development Acceleration of Sustainable Agriculture Towards Food Self-Sufficiency and Energy; April 17th, 2013; Sebelas Maret University, Solo, Indonesia; 2013
- Praptiningsih G. A., Liwang, T., Salafudin, Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., Wahono, S. K., & Hendroko, R.S. (2013 b) The Study of Two Stages Anaerobic Digestion Application and SuiTable Bio-Film as an Effort to Improve Bio-Gas Productivity from Jatropha Curcas Linn Capsule Husk, Energy Procedia 32 (2013), p: 84 – 89
- Praptiningsih G. A., Wahyudi, A., Wahono, S. K., Hendroko, R.S., Salafudin, & Liwang, T. (2013 c) Enhancement of Biogas Production from Capsule Husk Jatropha curcas Linn Substrate Using Urea and Crude Jatropha Oil as Additive, The 13th International Quality in Research, International Symposium on Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, June 25th-28th, 2013
- Salafudin, Hendroko, R.S, & Marwan, R. (2010) The Effect of Organic Loading, Husk Freshness and Types of Inoculum to The Performance Jatropha Curcas Linn Husk Anaerobic Digestion, International Conference on Tehnology for New and Renewable Energy (ICTNRE 2010), December 1st-2nd, 2010, Jakarta
- Salafudin, Praptiningsih G. A., Liwang, T., Nelwan, L. O., Sakri, Y., & Hendroko, R.S. (2011) Study Biorefinery Capsule Husk from Jatropha curcas L. Waste Crude Jatropha Oil as Source for Biogas, World Renewable Energy Congress Indonesia, International Conference and Exhibition on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, Nusa Dua, October 17th-19th, 2011, Bali
- Saputro, R. R. & Putri, D. A. (2009) Pembuatan Biogas Dari Limbah Peternakan, Research Report, Chemical Engineering Department, Diponegoro University, Semarang
- Soerawijaya, T.H. (2011) Rintangan-Rintangan Percepatan Implementasi Bioenergi, Seminar on New and Renewable Energy, Kadin Indonesia with Industrial Community in Indonesia, July 14th, 2011, Jakarta
- Sonni, S. K. (2007) Microbes: A Source of Energy for 21st Century, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India
- Velmurugan, B., & Ramanujam, R. A. (2011) Anaerobic Digestion of VegeTable Wastes for Biogas Production in a Bed-Batch Reactor, Int. J. Emerg. Sci., No. 1(3), p: 478 – 486
- Ward, A. J., Hobbs, P. J., Holliman, P. J., Jones, D. L. (2008) Optimization of The Anaerobic Digestion of Agricultural Resources, Bioresource Technology, 99 (2008), p: 7928–7940
- Warnika, K. (2011) Memasuki Era Energi Baru Terbarukan untuk Kedaulatan Energi Nasional, Seminar on New and Renewable Energy. Kadin Indonesia with Industrial Community in Indonesia, July 14th, 2011, Jakarta
- World Bank (2011) One Goal, Two Paths, Achieving Universal Access to Modern Energy in East Asia and The Pacific, Washington D. C.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.