Antibacterial Activity of Cinnamic Acid - Chitosan Encapsulation
The biggest cinnamon bark is cinnamic acid. The inhibitory activity of bacterial growth of S. aureus and E. coli and its abundance in nature becomes the superiority of cinnamic acid as antibacterial. However, the use of cinnamic acid as an antibacterial is still less than optimal because of low solubility in water. One of the latest technologies to address the problem is encapsulation in nanometer size. Encapsulation of cinnamic acid using chitosan nanoparticles as an encapsulation material was shown to increase the activity of cinnamic acid as antibacterial by protecting the active compound, as well as increasing its solubility in water through chitosan-TPP modification. Emulsion formation was performed using Corning LSE Compact at 6,000 rpm for 30 minutes. The formation of chitosan nanoparticles as encapsulation material was done using freeze dryer with freeze drying method. Chitosan was obtained from shrimp chitin with Deacetylation Degree (% DD) of 85.98%. The synthesis of chitosan nanoparticles yielded an average particle size of 330 nm with a percentage volume of 29.9% and 79.1% with an average size of 5570 nm. The morphological form of nanometer-sized chitosan was smaller and uniform than that of chitosan morphology. Encapsulation efficiency value of 67.304% makes cinnamic acid has higher activity inhibition of bacterial growth than pure cinnamic acid and chitosan nanoparticles.
- Jeffry Julianus, Elvan Luckyvano, Sintesis Asam Sinamat Dari Benzaldehida Dan Asam Malonat Dengan Katalis Dietilamina, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Community, 11, 1, (2016)
- Marcellino Rudyanto, Lanny Hartanti, Synthesis of Some Cinnamic Acid Derivatives: Effect of Groups Attached on Aromatic Ring to the Reactivity of Benzaldehyde, Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, 8, 2, (2010) 226-230
- Sandrina A. Heleno, Isabel C. F. R. Ferreira, Ana P. Esteves, Ana Ćirić, Jasmina Glamočlija, Anabela Martins, Marina Soković, Maria João R. P. Queiroz, Antimicrobial and demelanizing activity of Ganoderma lucidum extract, p-hydroxybenzoic and cinnamic acids and their synthetic acetylated glucuronide methyl esters, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 58, (2013) 95-100 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2013.04.025
- John A Hoskins, The occurrence, metabolism and toxicity of cinnamic acid and related compounds, Journal of Applied Toxicology, 4, 6, (1984) 283-292
- Qingrong Huang, Hailong Yu, Qiaomei Ru, Bioavailability and delivery of nutraceuticals using nanotechnology, Journal of food science, 75, 1, (2010)
- A Sakha Rujita, Karakteristik Mikrokapsul Minyak Atsiri Lengkuas dengan Maltodekstrin Sebagai Enkapsulan [Characteristics of Galangal Essential Oil Microencapsulation Using Maltodextrin Encapsulant], Jurnal Teknologi dan Industri Pangan, 24, 2, (2013) 201
- Cleonice Gonçalves da Rosa, Caroline Dellinghausen Borges, Rui Carlos Zambiazi, Michael Ramos Nunes, Edilson Valmir Benvenutti, Suzane Rickes da Luz, Roseane Farias D’Avila, Josiane Kuhn Rutz, Microencapsulation of gallic acid in chitosan, β-cyclodextrin and xanthan, Industrial Crops and Products, 46, (2013) 138-146 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2012.12.053
- Mike TL Tobing, Nor Basid Adibawa Prasetya, Khabibi Khabibi, Peningkatan Derajat Deasetilasi Kitosan dari Cangkang Rajungan dengan Variasi Konsentrasi NaOH dan Lama Perendaman, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 14, 3, (2011) 83-88
- R. Harris, E. Lecumberri, I. Mateos-Aparicio, M. Mengíbar, A. Heras, Chitosan nanoparticles and microspheres for the encapsulation of natural antioxidants extracted from Ilex paraguariensis, Carbohydrate Polymers, 84, 2, (2011) 803-806 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.07.003
- Rejane C Goy, Douglas de Britto, Odilio BG Assis, A review of the antimicrobial activity of chitosan, Polímeros, 19, 3, (2009) 241-247
- S. Hassani, A. Laouini, H. Fessi, C. Charcosset, Preparation of chitosan–TPP nanoparticles using microengineered membranes – Effect of parameters and encapsulation of tacrine, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 482, (2015) 34-43 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2015.04.006
- Lok P. Singh, Sriman K. Bhattacharyya, Rahul Kumar, Geetika Mishra, Usha Sharma, Garima Singh, Saurabh Ahalawat, Sol-Gel processing of silica nanoparticles and their applications, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 214, (2014) 17-37 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2014.10.007
- Emma Rochima, Karakterisasi kitin dan kitosan asal limbah rajungan cirebon jawa barat, Jurnal Pengolahan Hasil Perikanan Indonesia, 10, 1, (2010) http://dx.doi.org/10.17844/jphpi.v10i1.965
- Westriani Prambaningrum, Khabibi Khabibi, Muhammad Cholid Djunaidi, Adsorpsi Ion Besi (III) dan Kadmium (II) Menggunakan Gel Kitosan, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 12, 2, (2009) 47-51
- W. S. Wan Ngah, S. Fatinathan, Adsorption characterization of Pb(II) and Cu(II) ions onto chitosan-tripolyphosphate beads: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies, Journal of Environmental Management, 91, 4, (2010) 958-969 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2009.12.003
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi (JKSA) and the Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro University as the publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. Reproduce any part of this journal, its storage in the database or its transmission by all forms or media is permitted without the need for written permission from JKSA. However, it should be cited as an honor in academic manners
JKSA and the Chemistry Department of Diponegoro University and the Editor make every effort to ensure that there are no data, opinions, or false or misleading statements published in JKSA. However, the content of the article is the sole and exclusive responsibility of each author.
The Copyright Transfer Form can be downloaded here: [Copyright Transfer Form - Indonesian] [Copyright Transfer Form - English]. The copyright form should be signed originally and send to the Editorial Office in the form of original mail, scanned document or fax :
Adi Darmawan, Ph.D (Editor in Chief)
Editorial Office of Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi (JKSA)
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro UniversityJl. Prof. Soedarto, Kampus Undip Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275