Performance of Loaded Thermal Storage Unit with a Commercial Phase Change Materials based on Energy and Exergy Analysis
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
This work presents an energy/exergy analysis to investige performance of thermal storage unit which loaded with a commercial phase change material (Plus ICE H190). The influence of fluid parameters on the energy/exergy effectiveness was examined. The temporal changes of the energy and exergy rate and performace of the storage unit are obtained in the results. Latent heat principle is considered an efficient method to gain a higher effectiveness of system from an energy and exergy aspects. The fluid mass flow rate during charging and discharging periods were 2.50 kg/min and 1.26 kg/min, respectively. The results showed a significant increase of thermal resistance on the thermal storage unit performance. Fluid and phase change material show significant temperature difference on the rate of energy/exergy quantites and the time of melting or soldification. Ther results indicated that the average rate of energy and exergy were 1.3 kW and 0.54 kW, respectively. Wheras, energy and exergy average rate during discarging periods were 1.1 kW and 0.31 kW, respectively. Also, the global rate during the experimetal periods were about 84% and 54%, respectively.
Article History: Received July 6th 2017; Received in revised form September 15th 2017; Accepted 25th Sept 2017; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Olimat, A.N., Awad, A.S., Al-Gathain, F.M., and Shaban, N.A.. (2017) Performance of Loaded Thermal Storage Unit With A Commercial Phase Change Materials Based on Energy and Exergy Analysis. International Journal of Renewable Energy Develeopment, 6(3),283-290.
- Salwa Bouadila, Mariam Lazaar, Sofa Skouri, Sami Kooli and Abdelhamid Farhat,"Energy and exergy analysis of a new solar energy with latent storage energy", Hydrogen energy, 2014, vol. 39, pp.15266-15274, 2014.
- Farid,M. M. Khudhair, A. M, Razack, S. A. K. and Al-Hallj, S. "A review on phase change energy storage materials and applications", Energy convers manage, vol. 45, pp. 1597-1615, 2004.
- Verma, P., Varun and Singal, S.K, "Review of mathematical modeling on latent energy thermal storage units using phase change material", Renew Sust. Energy Rev, vol. 12, pp. 999-1031, 2008.
- Erek A. and Dincer I." A new approach to energy and exergy analysis of latent energy storage unit",Energy Trans. ENG, vol. 49, pp. 506-525, 2009.
- Aghbalou F. and Badia F. "Exergetic optimization of solar collector and thermal storage unit", Int.J.Energy Mass Trans,vol. 49, pp. 1255-1263, 2006.
- Jegadheeswarm S. and Pohekar, S.D." Energy and energy analysis of particle dispersed latent energy storage system", International journal of energy and environment, 2010, pp.445-458, 2010.
- Gang Li," Energy and exergy performance assessment for latent energy thermal storage units", Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, vol. 51, pp. 926-954, 2015.
- Mohamad Asbik, Omar Ansari, Abdellah Bah, Nadia Zari, Abdelaziz Mimet and Hamdy El-Ghetany,"Exergy analysis of solar desalination still combined with energy storage system using phase change material (PCMS)", Desalination, vol. 381,pp. 26-37, 2016.
- A. Sari and K. Kaygusuz," First and second laws analysis of a closed latent energy thermal storage units", Chinese J. Chem. Eng.., vol. 12(2), pp. 290-293, 2004.
- Gang Li, Yunho Hwangcold and Reinhard Radermacher," Experimental investigation on energy and exergy performance of adsorption cold storage for space cooling applications", Refrigeration, vol. 44, pp. 23-35, 2014.
- M. H. Mahfuz, A. Kamyar, O. Afshar, M. Sarraf, M. R. Anisur, M. A. kibria, R. Saidur and I.H.S.C. Metselaar,"Exergetic analysis of a solar thermal power system with PCMS storage", Energy conversion and management, vol. 78, pp. 486-492, 2014.
- Kaushik, S. C., Reddy, V. S. and Tyagi S. K., "Energy and exergy analysis of thermal power plant: a review", Renew Sust. Energy Rev, vol. 15, pp. 857-1872, 2011.
- I. Dincer and M. A. Rosen, "Exergy: energy, environment, and sustainable development", Elsevier Science, UK, 2007.
- M. J. Hosseini, M. Rahimi and R. Bahrampoury," Experimental and computational evaluation of a shell and tube energy exchanger as a PCMS thermal storage system", Int. Commun. Energy Mass Transfer, vol. 50, pp.128-136, 2014.
- S. Jegadheeswaran, S.D. Pohekar and T. Kousksou," Exergy based performance evaluation of latent energy thermal storage system: a review", Renew. Sust. Energy Rev, vol. 14 (9) pp.2580–2595, 2010.
- M. H. Mahfuz, M. R. Anisur, M. A. Kibria, R. Saidur and I. H. S. C. Metselaar,"Performance investigation of thermal storage unit with phase change material (PCMS) for solar water energy application", International Communications in Energy and Mass Transfer, vol. 57, pp.132-139, 2014.
- I. Dincer, M. A. Rosen, Energy and exergy analyses of thermal storage units, Thermal Energy Storage, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., UK, 2010, pp. 233–334.
- Abdullah N. Olimat, Faisel M. Al-Ghathian and Ahmad S. Awad, "Experimental study of thermal storage unit using fin tube energy exchanger and commercial phase change material", Research of Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, vol.13:(5), pp.394-402, 2016.
- Radco Company, Industrial energy fluid, XCEL THERM®600, Engineering fluid properties catalogue data, 2013
- Phase Change Material Products Limited, PlusICE® phase change materials catalogue data, 2013.
- I. Dincer, M.A. Rosen, Thermal storage units and applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., UK, 2011, pp. 274–275.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.