Impact of Blanket Configuration on the Design of a Fusion-Driven Transmutation Reactor
A configuration of a fusion-driven transmutation reactor with a low aspect ratio tokamak-type neutron source was determined in a self-consistent manner by using coupled analysis of tokamak systems and neutron transport. We investigated the impact of blanket configuration on the characteristics of a fusion-driven transmutation reactor. It was shown that by merging the TRU burning blanket and tritium breeding blanket, which uses PbLi as the tritium breeding material and as coolant, effective transmutation is possible. The TRU transmutation capability can be improved with a reduced blanket thickness, and fast fluence at the first wall can be reduced.
Article History: Received: July 10th 2017; Received: Dec 17th 2017; Accepted: February 2nd 2018; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Hong, B.G. (2018) Impact of Blanket Configuration on the Design of a Fusion-Driven Transmutation Reactor. International Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 7(1), 65-70.
- Holtkamp N. (2009), The status of the ITER design, Fusion Engineering and Design, 84, 98.
- Hong B.G. (2014), Conceptual study of fusion-driven system for nuclear waste transmutation, Fusion Engineering and Design, 89, 2493.
- Hong B.G. Hwang, Y.S., Kang, J.S., Lee, D.W., Joo, H.G., Ono, M. (2011), Conceptual design study of a superconducting spherical tokamak reactor with a self-consistent system analysis code, Nucl. Fusion, 51, 113013.
- Hong B.G., Lee D.W. and In S.R. (2008), Tokamak Reactor System Analysis Code for the Conceptual Development of DEMO Reactor, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 40, 1.
- Hong,B.G.. and Oh, P. (2015), Characteristics of nuclear waste transmutation based on a tokamak neutron source, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 40, 1515.
- Lin-Liu Y. and Stambaugh R. (2002), Optimum plasma states for next step tokamaks, General Atomics Report, GA-A23980.
- Menard J., Bell, M.G., Bell, R.E., Gates, D.A., Kaye, S.M., LeBlanc, B.P., Sabbagh, S.A., Fredrickson, E.D., Jardin, S.C.; Maingi, R.; Manickam, J.; Mueller, D.; Ono, M., Paoletti, F., Peng, Y.-K.M., Soukhanovskii, V., Stutman, D., Synakowski, E.J. (2003), Unified ideal stability limits for advanced tokamak and spherical torus plasmas, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory Report, PPPL-3779.
- Mitchell N., Devred, A., Libeyre, P. (2012), The ITER Magnets: Design and Construction Status, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 22, 4200809.
- Najmabadi F. and The ARIES Team (2003), Fusion Eng. Des. 65, 143.
- Nakagawa T., Asami, T. (1995) Japanese evaluated nuclear data library version 3 reversion-2: JENDL-3.2, Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, 32, 1259.
- Nishitani T., Yamauchi M., Nishio S. and Wada M. (2006), Fusion Eng. Des. 81, 1245.
- ORNL (1998), BISON-C, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.Report , CCC-659.
- Song K.C., Lee, H., Hur, J-M., KIM, J.G., Ahn, D.H. and Cho, Y.Z. (2010), Status of Pyroprocessing Technology Development in Korea, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 42, 131.
- Stacey W.M. (2007), Transmutation missions for fusion neutron sources, Fusion Engineering and Design, 82, 11.
- Wong C., Wesley, J.C., Stambaugh, R.D. and Cheng, E.T. (2002), Toroidal reactor designs as a function of aspect ratio and elongation, Nucl. Fusion, 42, 547.
- Wu,Y. Zheng, S., Zhu, X., Wang, W., Liu, S., Bai, Y., Chen, H., Hu, L., Chen, M., Huang, Q., Huang, D., Zhang, S., Li, J., Chu, D., Jiang, J., Song, Y. (2006), Conceptual design of the fusion-driven subcritical system FDS-I, Fusion Engineering and Design, 81, 1305.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.