Fractional Order Sliding Mode Control of PMSG-Wind Turbine Exploiting Clean Energy Resource
The extensive application of permanent magnet synchronous generator (PMSG) based wind energy conversion system (WECS) has attracted growing interests of power researchers on its control and operation. This paper aims to propose a kind of fractional order sliding mode based (FOSM) power output control scheme of PMSG based WECS with fast exponential reaching law (FERL). The FERL based FOSM control technique proves to be better capable of attenuating the level of the chattering phenomenon with faster convergence speed. The boost converter and the neutral point clamped inverter, both of which are utilized to connect the PMSG and the power grid, are controlled with the proposed FOSM control scheme. Furthermore, the direct and quadrature grid current are tracked, which leads to the control of the active and reactive power output. The effectiveness of the proposed method is verified with an 8kW wind turbine simulation and the test results indicate that the proposed method can better track the reference value of active and reactive power. In addition to that, the total harmonic distortion level of the grid current is largely mitigated.
©2019.CBIORE-IJRED. All rights reserved
Article History: Received June 2nd 2018; Received in revised form October 6th 2018; Accepted January 7th 2019; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Khan, M.W., Wang, J., Xiong, L. and Ma, M. (2019). Fractional Order Sliding Mode Control of PMSG-Wind Turbine Exploiting Clean Energy Resource. International Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 8(1), 81-89.
- Delfino, F., Pampararo, F., Procopio, R., & Rossi, M. (2012). A feedback linearization control scheme for the integration of wind energy conversion systems into distribution grids. IEEE systems journal, 6(1), 85-93.
- Fatu, M., Blaabjerg, F., & Boldea, I. (2014). Grid to standalone transition motion-sensorless dual-inverter control of PMSG with asymmetrical grid voltage sags and harmonics filtering. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29(7), 3463-3472.
- Ghasemi, S., Tabesh, A., & Askari-Marnani, J. (2014). Application of fractional calculus theory to robust controller design for wind turbine generators. IEEE transactions on energy conversion, 29(3), 780-787.
- Hui, J. C., Bakhshai, A., & Jain, P. K. (2016). An energy management scheme with power limit capability and an adaptive maximum power point tracking for small standalone PMSG wind energy systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31(7), 4861-4875.
- Khan, M. W., Wang, J., Xiong, L., & Ma, M. (2018). Modelling and optimal management of distributed microgrid using multi-agent systems. Sustainable Cities and Society, 41, 154-169.
- Lee, S. H., Joo, Y. J., Back, J. H., Seo, J. H., & Choy, I. (2011). Sliding mode controller for torque and pitch control of PMSG wind power systems. Journal of Power Electronics, 11(3), 342-349.
- Li, S., Haskew, T. A., Swatloski, R. P., & Gathings, W. (2012). Optimal and direct-current vector control of direct-driven PMSG wind turbines. IEEE Transactions on power electronics, 27(5), 2325-2337.
- Ling, K. V., Ho, W. K., Feng, Y., & Wu, B. F. (2011). Integral-square-error performance of multiplexed model predictive control. IEEE transactions on industrial informatics, 7(2), 196-203.
- Melício, R., Mendes, V. M. F., & Catalão, J. P. D. S. (2010). Fractional-order control and simulation of wind energy systems with PMSG/full-power converter topology. Energy Conversion and Management, 51(6), 1250-1258.
- Mozayan, S. M., Saad, M., Vahedi, H., Fortin-Blanchette, H., & Soltani, M. (2016). Sliding mode control of PMSG wind turbine based on enhanced exponential reaching law. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63(10), 6148-6159.
- Muyeen, S. M., & Al-Durra, A. (2013). Modeling and control strategies of fuzzy logic controlled inverter system for grid interconnected variable speed wind generator. IEEE systems journal, 7(4), 817-824.
- Nascimento, E. M., & de Souza, J. D. (2017). Hybrid Power Plants: Viability for Cities in Minas Gerais. Engineering Journal, 21(5), 37-52.
- Nguyen, T. H., & Lee, D. C. (2013). Advanced fault ride-through technique for PMSG wind turbine systems using line-side converter as STATCOM. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics, 60(7), 2842-2850.
- Pan, I., & Das, S. (2015). Kriging based surrogate modeling for fractional order control of microgrids. IEEE Transactions on Smart grid, 6(1), 36-44.
- Pradhan, R., Majhi, S. K., Pradhan, J. K., & Pati, B. B. (2017). Performance Evaluation of PID Controller for an Automobile Cruise Control System using Ant Lion Optimizer. Engineering Journal, 21(5), 347-361.
- Psychalinos, C., Elwakil, A. S., Radwan, A. G., & Biswas, K. (2016). Guest editorial: fractional-order circuits and systems: theory, design, and applications. Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing, 35(6), 1807-1813.
- Santiprapan, P., Areerak, K., & Areerak, K. (2017). The Implementation of Active Power Filter using Proportional plus Resonant Controller. Engineering Journal, 21(6), 69-80.
- Yin, C., Chen, Y., & Zhong, S. M. (2014). Fractional-order sliding mode based extremum seeking control of a class of nonlinear systems. Automatica, 50(12), 3173-3181.
- Yin, X. X., Lin, Y. G., Li, W., Liu, H. W., & Gu, Y. J. (2015). Fuzzy-logic sliding-mode control strategy for extracting maximum wind power. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 30(4), 1267-1278.
- Yuan, X., Wang, F., Boroyevich, D., Li, Y., & Burgos, R. (2009). DC-link voltage control of a full power converter for wind generator operating in weak-grid systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 24(9), 2178-2192.
- Zhang, Z., Zhao, Y., Qiao, W., & Qu, L. (2014). A space-vector-modulated sensorless direct-torque control for direct-drive PMSG wind turbines. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 50(4), 2331-2341.
- Zhong, Q. C., Ma, Z., Ming, W. L., & Konstantopoulos, G. C. (2015). Grid-friendly wind power systems based on the synchronverter technology. Energy Conversion and Management, 89, 719-726.
- Zhou, D., Blaabjerg, F., Franke, T., Tønnes, M., & Lau, M. (2015). Comparison of wind power converter reliability with low-speed and medium-speed permanent-magnet synchronous generators. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 62(10), 6575-6584.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.