A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF YARN DYED WASTEWATER USING FENTON’S REAGENT AND OZONATION : REMOVAL EFFICIENCY AND ECONOMIC ANALYSIS
Copyright (c) 2017 REAKTOR
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
This study makes a comparison between Fenton and Ozonation processes treatment methods to examine the removal of COD in yarn dyed wastewater with initial concentration of 525 ppm. Results indicated that the COD degradation efficiency was in order of Fenton > Ozone. In Fenton method, the ratio of Fe2+/H2O2 used was 1 :10, the concentration of H2O2 was 10.2 gram/L. In ozonation, the ozone concentration used in the study was 5.8 % mol, and the agitation was 400 rpm. The effect of operational parameters including, initial pH and time were studied in both processes. The results indicated that it was 86.2 % COD were removed, when the pH was about 3 using Fenton’s reagent and 83.06 % COD removal in ozonation for one hour experiment. To achieve the standard requirement for allowable parameters in wastewater to be discharged, there is only 15 minutes needed for Fenton process to remove COD by 84.8 %, while the ozonation needs 30 minutes for 81 %removal. Fenton process is more economic feasible compare to ozonation which is almost one-tenth of the operation cost for 1 liter of wastewater being process. Though both processes can demonstrate the high removal efficiency to achieve the allowable COD concentration in the wastewater to be discharged, Fenton process is favor to ozonation.
- APHA, (1998). Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater,.20th ed
- Baban A, Yediler A, Lienert D, Kemerder N, Kettrup A.(2003) Ozonation of high strength segregated effluents from a woolen textile dyeing and finishing plant. Dyes Pigments ,58,pp 93-98.
- Ensing,B., Buda,F. Baerends, E.J. (2003).Fenton-like chemistry in water: oxidation catalysis by Fe(III) and H2O2, J. Phys. Chem. 107(A) pp. 5722– 5731.
- Fassi,S., Djebbar, K., Bousnoubra,I., Chenini, H., Sehill,T. (2014), Oxidation of bromocresol green by different advanced oxidation processes: Fenton, Fenton-like, photo-Fenton, photo-Fenton-like and solar light:comparative study.Desalin.Water.Treatment , 52, pp. 4982-4989 .
- Georgiou D, Melidis P, Aivasidis A, Gimouhopoulos K.(2002) Degradation of azo-reactive dyes by ultraviolet radiation in the presence of hydrogen peroxide. Dyes Pigments,52,pp.69-78.
- Gunten U.v (2003) Ozonation of drinking water: Part I. Oxidation kinetics and product formation. Water Res, 37(7) ,pp1443-1467.
- Kadirelu,K.Kavipriya,M.,KarthikaC.,Radhika,M,Vennilamani,N, Pattabhi,S. (2003). Utilization of various agricultural wastes for activated carbon preparation,and application for the removal of dyes and metal ions from aqueous solutions. Bioresour.Technol, 87 (1) pp.129-132
- Khataee,A.R, Vatanpour,V, Amani Ghadim A.R. (2009),Decolorization of C.I. Acid Blue 9 solution by UV/Nano-TiO2, Fenton, Fenton-like,electro-Fenton and electrocoagulation processes: A comparative study, Journal of Hazardous Materials ,161,pp 1225–1233
- Modirshahla, M.A. Behnajady, F. Ghanbary Decolorization and mineralization of C.I. (2007), Acid Yellow 23 by Fenton and photo-Fenton processes, Dyes and Pigments ,73,pp 305-310
- Peleg M, (1976). The chemistry of ozone in the treatment of water. Water Research, 10(5), pp.361-365
- Qiao, R.P., Li, N., Qi, X.H., Wang, Q.S.,and Zhuang. Y.Y., (2005) .Degradation of microcystin-RR by UV radiation in the presence of hydrogen peroxide Toxicon, 45, pp.745-752
- Riadi,L Sapei,L, Lidiawati,T, Agustin,YE, (2016). Application of a hybrid Electrocoagulation-Fenton process in yarn dye wastewater : Kinetic study. International Conference on Chemical Engineering,Bandung,Indonesia
- Selcuk,H, (2005), Decolorization and detoxification of textile wastewater by ozonation and coagulation processes, Dyes and Pigments, 64,pp. 217-222.
- Tarr,M.A. Fenton and Modified Fenton Methods for pollutant degradation, in Chemical Degradation Methods for wastes and Pollutants edited by Matthew A.Tarr(Marcell Dekker Inc,New York,2003). pp 165-178
- Wang N, Zheng T, Zhang G, Wang P, (2016),A review on Fenton-like processes for organic wastewater treatment, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering ,4 , pp.762-787
- Zaied M, Chutet E,Puelon,S. Bellakhal N, DesmazieresB, Dacharoui,M. Chaussee A, (2011). Spontaneous oxidative degradation of indigo carmine t thin films bernessite electrodeposited onto SnO2. Appl.Catal B.107 (1-2),pp. 42-51.