A Review on Solar PV Based Grid Connected Microinverter Control Schemes and Topologies
From the last decade, there is an increase in the demand of electricity, this will causing depletion in the fossil fuels which results increase in cost. So the focus is shifted to use of renewable energy sources along with the only utility grid but it is not sufficient to supply the power different loads. To overcome these problems, micro-grid (MG) is introduced and it is powered by renewable distributed generation (DG) systems, such as, micro turbines, fuel cells, PV and wind generation due to the limited fossil fuel. Out of the above sources, solar energy provides extraordinary benefits including environmental friendly, surplus availability and low installation cost due to the advanced technology and mass production. The solar grid connected micro inverters gain lot of intention in past few years due to its simple construction, reliability and endurability. Moreover, the grid connected micro inverter has high reliability and it can operate in abnormal conditions also like variations in voltage and current. The micro-inverter has attracted recent market success due to unique features such as lower installation cost, improved energy harvesting, and improved system efficiency. This article gives detailed review on different topologies for grid connected solar PV micro-inverter and suggests the reliable, suitable and efficient topology for micro-inverter.
Article History: Received Dec 16th 2017; Received in revised form May 14th 2018; Accepted June 1st 2018; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Premkumar, M., Karthick, K and Sowmya, R. (2018) A Review on Solar PV Based Grid Connected Microinverter Control Schemes and Topologies. Int. Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 7(2), 171-182.
- Pradeep Kumar Sahu, Priyabrata Shaw, & Somnath Maity (2015) Modeling and Control of Grid-Connected DC/AC Converters for Single-Phase Micro-inverter Application. Proceedings of Annual IEEE India Conference, New Delhi, India.
- Premkumar, M., Dhanasekar, N., Dhivakar, R., & Arunkumar, P. (2016) Comparison of MPPT Algorithms for PV Systems based DC – DC Converter. Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences, 17(9), 212-221.
- Umashankar, S., Akhil, M., & Kolhe, M. (2016) Control and Power Management of Photovoltaic Battery based Microgrid. Proceedings of International Conference on Electrical Energy Systems, Chennai, India.
- David Meneses, Oscar Garca, Pedro Alou, Jesus A. Oliver, & Jose A. Cobos (2015) Grid-Connected Forward Microinverter with Primary-Parallel Secondary-Series Transformer. IEEE transactions on power electronics, 30(9), 4819-4830.
- Tirthasarathi Lodh, & Vivek Agarwal (2016) Single Stage Multi-Port Flyback Type Solar PV Module Integrated Micro-Inverter with Battery Backup. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems, Trivandram, India.
- Arunmozhi, R., & Arokiaraj, J. (2016) Series Compensation Technique Based Energy Management at Micro-grid. Proceedings of International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering, Technology and Science, Chennai, India.
- Sergio A. Oliveira da Silva, Leonardo P. Sampaio, Fernando M. de Oliviera, & Fabio R. Durand (2017) A Feed-Forward DC-Bus Control Loop Applied to a Single-Phase Grid-Connected Photovoltaic System Operating with PSO-Based MPPT Technique and Active Power-Line Conditioning. IET Renewable Energy Power Generation, 11(1), 183-193.
- Coppola, M., Di Napoli, F., Guerriero, P., Iannuzzi, D., Daliento, S., & Del Pizzo, A. (2016) An FPGA-based Advanced Control Strategy of a Gridtied PV CHB Inverter. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31(1), 806-816.
- Lin Ma, Tamas Kerekes, Pedro Rodriguez, Xinmin Jin, Remus Teodorescu, & Marco Liserre (2015) A New PWM Strategy for Grid Connected Half-Bridge Active NPC Converters with Losses Distribution Balancing Mechanism. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(9), 5331-5340.
- Srinivas, D., & Ramesh, J. (2014) Power Efficient Grid Connected Single Phase Rooftop PV System. International Journal of Computational Science, Mathematics and Engineering, 1(6), 231-238.
- Woo-Jun Cha, Yong-Won Cho, Jung-Min Kwon & Bong-Hwan Kwon (2015) High Efficient Micro-Inverter with Soft-Switching Step-Up Converter and Single -Switch-Modulation Inverter. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 62(6), 3516-3523.
- Yashi Singh, Ikhlaq Hussain, Bhim Singh, & Sukumar Mishra (2017) Single Phase Solar Grid-Interfaced System with Active Filtering using Adaptive Linear Combiner Filter-based Control Scheme. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, 11(8), 1976-1984.
- Yoash Levron, & Robert W. Erickson (2016) High Weighted Efficiency in Single Phase Solar Inverters by a Variable Frequency Peak Current Controller. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31(1), 258-269.
- Woo-Jun Cha, Kyu-Tae Kim, Yong-Won Cho, Sung-Ho Lee, & Bong-Hwan Kwon (2015) Evaluation and Analysis of Transformerless Photovoltaic Inverter Topology for Efficiency Improvement and Reduction of Leakage Current. IET Power Electronics, 8(2), 255-267.
- Pradeep Kumar, V.V.S. & Baylon G. Fernandes (2017) A Fault-Tolerant Single-Phase Grid-Connected Inverter Topology with Enhanced Reliability for Solar PV Applications. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 5(3), 1254-1262.
- Mahshid Khoshlessan, Behzad Asaei, & Babak Farhangi (2015) Analysis of Fly-Back PV Micro-inverter and Optimizing Control System Using Finite Gradient Descent Method. Proceedings of International Aegean Conference on Electrical Machines & Power Electronics, International Conference on Optimization of Electrical & Electronic Equipment & International Symposium on Advanced Electromechanical Motion Systems, Side, Turkey, 287-292.
- Jiang Liu, Shanmei Cheng, & Anwen Shen (2017) A High Efficiency Two-stage Inverter for Photovoltaic Grid-connected Generation Systems. Journal of Power Electronics, 17(1), 200-211.
- Ashraf Ali Khan, Honnyong Cha, Hafiz Furqan Ahmed, Juyong Kim, & Jintae Cho (2017) A Highly Reliable and High Efficiency Quasi Single-Stage Buck-Boost Inverter. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 32(6), 4185-4198.
- Vasav Gautam, & Parthasarathi Sensarma (2017) Design of Cuk Derived Transformerless Common Grounded PV Micro-inverter in CCM. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(8), 6245-6254.
- Premkumar, M., Jeevanantham, R., & Muthuvigneshkumar, S. (2014) Single Phase Module Integrated Converter Topology for Microgrid Network. International Journal of Innovative Research in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering, 2(3), 1322-1325.
- Baifeng Chen, Bin Gu, Lanhua Zhang, Zaka Ullah Zahid, Jih-Sheng Lai, Zhiling Liao, & Ruixiang Hao (2015) A High-Efﬁciency MOSFET Transformerless Inverter for Non-isolated Microinverter Applications. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(7), 3610-3622.
- Minjie Chen, Khurram K. Afridi, & David J. Perreault (2015) A Multilevel Energy Buffer and Voltage Modulator for Grid-Interfaced Microinverters. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(3), 1203-1219.
- Yoshiya Ohnuma, Koji Orikawa, & Jun-ichi Itoh (2015) A Single-Phase Current-Source PV Inverter with Power Decoupling Capability using an Active Buffer. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 51(1), 531-538
- Jason Tao, & Vieri Xue (2013) Grid-Connected Micro Solar Inverter Implement Using a C2000 MCU, Texas Instruments, Application Report, SPRABT0. 01-35.
- Keshav Patidar, & Amod C. Umarikar (2014) High Step-Up Converters Based on Quadratic Boost Converter for Micro-Inverter. Electric Power Systems Research, 119(6), 168–177.
- Ognjen Gagrica, Phuong H. Nguyen, Wil L. Kling, & Tadeusz Uhl, (2015) Microinverter Curtailment Strategy for Increasing Photovoltaic Penetration in Low-Voltage Networks. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 6(2), 369-379.
- Irtaza M. Syed, & Kaamran Raahemifar (2015) Alternating Current Photovoltaic Module Model. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology-International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Electronics and Communication Engineering, 9(3), 284-290.
- Hong Li, Jun Wang, Zhang Sun, Ming Li, & Chaorun Feng (2015) Study on Improved DC Bus Series-Connection of Microconverter System. Proceedings of Chinese Intelligent Automation Conference, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 338, 571-579
- Anastasios Ch. Nanakos, Georgios C. Christidis, & Emmanuel C. Tatakis (2015) Weighted Efﬁciency Optimization of Flyback Microinverter Under Improved Boundary Conduction Mode (i-BCM). IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(10), 5548-5564.
- Guoping Zhu, Xinbo Ruan, Li Zhang, & Xuehua Wang (2015) On the Reduction of Second Harmonic Current and Improvement of Dynamic Response for Two-Stage Single-Phase Inverter. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(2), 1028-1041.
- Lin Chen, Changsheng Hu, Qian Zhang, Kun Zhang, & Issa Batarseh (2015) Modeling and Triple-Loop Control of ZVS Grid-Connected DC/AC Converters for Three-Phase Balanced Microinverter Application. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30(4), 2010-2023.
- Yue Zhang, Zhiliang Zhang, & Gang Yang (2015) A Novel Control Method for Photovoltaic Grid connected Microinverters to Achieve High Efficiency in Light Load. Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Power Electronics-ECCE Asia, Convention Center, Seoul, Korea, 2826-2831.
- Premkumar, M., Sumithira, T.R., & Sowmya, R. (2018) Implementation of Solar PV Based Microconverter with Optimal MPPT Control under Partial Shading Condition. Interciencia Journal, 43(2), 02-16.
- Premkumar, M., Sumithira, T.R., & Sowmya, R. (2018) Modelling and Implementation of Cascaded Multilevel Inverter as Solar PV Based Microinverter Using FPGA. International Journal of Intelligent Engineering and Systems, 11(2), 18-27.
- Chengshan Wang, Yan Li, Ke Peng, Bowen Hong, Zhen Wu, & Chongbo Sun (2013) Coordinated Optimal Design of Inverter Controllers in a Micro-Grid with Multiple Distributed Generation Units. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(3), 2679-2687.
- Woo-Jun Cha, Yong-Won Cho, Jung-Min Kwon, & Bong-Hwan Kwon (2015) Highly Efﬁcient Microinverter With Soft-Switching Step-Up Converter and Single-Switch-Modulation Inverter. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 62(6), 3516-3523.
- Baojian Ji, Feng Hong, Jianhua Wang, & Shengming Huang (2015) A Dual Buck Three-Level PV Grid-Connected Inverter. Journal of Power Electronics, 15(4), 910-919.
- Tarek Selmi, Mounir Bouzguenda, Adel Gastli, & Ahmed Masmoudi (2015) Microcontroller-based Inverter Topology Integrated in PV Systems. COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 34(1), 132-150.
- Davide Barater, Emilio Lorenzani, Carlo Concari, Giovanni Franceschini, & Giampaolo Buticchi (2016) Recent Advances in Single-phase Transformerless Photovoltaic Inverters. IET Renewable Power Generation, 10(2), 260–273.
- Shibin Qin, Christopher B. Barth, & Robert C. N. Pilawa-Podgurski (2016) Enhancing Microinverter Energy Capture with Submodule Differential Power Processing. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 31(5), 3575-3585.
- Hu, H., Harb, N., Kutkut, N., Batarseh, I., & Shen, Z.J. (2013) A Review of Power Decoupling Techniques for Microinverters with Three Different Decoupling Capacitor Locations in PV Systems. IEEE Transaction of Power Electronics, 28(6), 2711–2726.
- Meneses, D., Blaabjerg, F., Garcia, O., & Cobos, J.A. (2013) Review and Comparison of Step-Up Transformerless Topologies for Photovoltaic AC-Module Application. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 28(6), 2649–2663.
- Gao, M., Chen, M., Zhang, C., & Qian, Z. (2014) Analysis and Implementation of an Improved Flyback Iinverter for Photovoltaic AC Module Applications. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 29(7), 3428-3444.
- Kyritsis, A.C., Tatakis, E.C., & Papanikolaou, N.P. (2008) Optimum Design of the Current-source Flyback Inverter for Decentralized Grid-connected Photovoltaic Systems. IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, 23(1), 281–293.
- Zhang, J., Huang, X., Wu, X., & Qian, Z. (2010) A High Efficiency Flyback Converter with New Active Clamp Technique. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 25(7), 1775–1785.
- Nanakos, A.C., Tatakis, E.C., & Papanikolaou, N.P. (2012) A Weighted-Efficiency-Oriented Design Methodology of Flyback Inverter for AC Photovoltaic Modules. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 27(7), 3221– 3233.
- Kim, Y.H., Ji, Y.H., Kim, J.G., Jung, Y.C., & Won, C.Y. (2013) A New Control Strategy for Improving Weighted Efficiency in Photovoltaic AC Module-Type Interleaved Flyback Inverters. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 28(6), 2688–2699.
- Zhang, Z., He, X.F., & Liu, Y.F. (2013) An Optimal Control Method for Photovoltaic Grid-Tied-Interleaved Flyback Micro-Inverters to Achieve High Efficiency in Wide Load Range. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics, 28(11), 5074– 5087.
- Sukesh, N., Pahlevaninezhad, M., & Jain, P.K. (2014) Analysis and Implementation of a Single-Stage Flyback PV Microinverter with Soft Switching. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 61(4), 1819,1833.
- Fongang Edwin, F., Xiao, W., & Khadkikar, V. (2014) Dynamic Modeling and Control of Interleaved Flyback Module-Integrated Converter for PV Power Applications. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 61(3), 1377–1388.
- Thang, T.V., Thao, N.M., Jang, J.H., & Park, J.H. (2014) Analysis and Design of Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Systems with Multiple-Integrated Converters and a Pseudo-DC-Link Inverter. IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, 61(7), 3377-3386.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.