Determining the Optimum Tilt Angles to Maximize the Incident Solar Radiation - Case of Study Pristina
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Solar energy is derived from photons of light coming from the sun in a form called radiation. Solar energy finds extensive application in air and water heating, solar cooking, as well as electrical power generation, depending on the way of capturing, converting and distribution. To enable such application, it is necessary to analyze the horizontal tilt angle of horizontal surfaces – in order that when the solar energy reaches the earth surface to be completely absorbed. This paper tends to describe the availability of solar radiation for south-facing flat surfaces. The optimal monthly, seasonal, and annual tilt angles have been estimated for Pristina. The solar radiation received by the incident plane is estimated based on isotropic sky analysis models, namely Liu and Jordan model. The annual optimum tilt angle for Pristina was found to be 34.7°. The determination of annual solar energy gains is done by applying the optimal monthly, seasonal and annual tilt angles for an inclined surface compared to a horizontal surface. Monthly, seasonal and annual percentages of solar energy gains have been estimated to be 21.35%, 19.98%, and 14.43%. Losses of solar energy were estimated by 1.13 % when a surface was fixed at a seasonal optimum tilt angle, and when it was fixed at an annual optimum tilt angle, those losses were 5.7%.
Article History: Received February 15th 2018; Received in revised form May 12th 2018; Accepted June 2nd 2018; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Berisha, Xh., Zeqiri, A. and Meha, D. (2018) Determining the Optimum Tilt Angles to Maximize the Incident Solar Radiation - Case of Study Pristina. Int. Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 7(2), 123-130.
- Ahmad, A., Okoye, C.O., Atikol, U. (2016) The effect of latitude on the performance of different solar trackers in Europe and Africa. Applied Energy, 177, 896-906.
- Ahmad, M.J, Tiwari, G.N. (2009) Optimization of tilt angle for solar collectors to receive maximum radiation. The Open Renewable Energy Journal, 2, 19-24.
- Alatarawneh, I.S., Rawadieh, S.I., Tarawneh, M.S., Alrowwad, S.M., Rimawi, F. (2016) Optimal tilt angle trajectory for maximizing solar energy potential in Ma’anareain in Jordan. Journal of Renewable Sustainable Energy, 8.
- Alboteanu, I., Bulucea, C., Degeratu, S. (2015) Estimating Solar Irradiation Absorbed by Photovoltaic Panels with Low Concentration Located in Craiova, Romania. Sustainability, 7(3), 2644-2661.
- Badescu, V. (2002) A new kind of cloudy sky model to compute instantaneous values of diffuse and global solar irradiance. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 72(1-2), 127-136.
- Bakirci , K. (2012) General models for optimum tilt angles of solar panels: Turkey case study. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(8), 6149-6159.
- Benghanem, M. (2011) Optimization of tilt angle for solar panel: Case study for Madinah, Saudi Arabia. Applied Energy, 88(4), 1427-1433.
- Calabr, E. (2013) An algorithm to determine the optimum tilt angle of a solar panel from global horizontal solar radiation. Journal of Renewable Energy, 12.
- Cooper, P.I. (1969) The absorption of radiation in solar stills. Sol. Energy, 12(3), 333-346.
- Dufﬁe, J., Beckman, W. (2006) Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, Part I, Fundamentals 1, 4th edn. John Wiley, New York.
- Eke, A.B. (2011) Prediction of optimum angle of inclination for flat plate solar collectors in Zaria, Nigeria. Agricultural Engineering International: CIGR Journal, 13(4).
- Eldin, S.A.S., Abd-Elhady, M.S., Kandil, H.A. (2016) Feasibility of solar tracking systems for PV panels in hot and cold regions. Renewable Energy, 85, 228-233.
- Elminir, H.K., Ghitas, A.E., El-Hussainy, F., Hamid, R., Beheary, M.M., Abdel-Moneim, K.M. (2006) Optimum solar flat-plate collector slope: Case study for Helwan, Egypt. Energy Conversion Management, 47(5), 624-637.
- Ertekin , C., Evrendilek, F., Kulcu, R. (2008) Modeling Spatio-Temporal Dynamics of Optimum Tilt Angles for Solar Collectors in Turkey. Sensors, 8, 2913.
- Handoyo, E.A., Ichsani, D., Prabowo. (2013) The Optimal Tilt Angle of a Solar Collector. Energy Procedia, 32, 166-175.
- Hartner, M., Ortner, A., Hiesl, A., Haas, R. (2015) East to west - The optimal tilt angle and orientation of photovoltaic panels from an electricity system perspective. Applied Energy, 160, 94-107.
- Hay, J.E. (1979) Calculation of monthly mean solar radiation for horizontal and inclined surfaces. Solar Energy, 23(4), 301-307.
- Jafari, S., Javaran, E. J. (2012) An Optimum Slope Angle for Solar Collector Systems in Kerman Using a New Model for Diffuse Solar Radiation. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 34(9), 799-809.
- Jafarkazemi, F., Saadabadi, S.A. (2013) Optimum tilt angle and orientation of solar surfaces in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Renewable Energy, 56, 44-49.
- Jafarkazemi, F., Saadabadi, S.A., Pasdarshahri, H. (2012) The optimum tilt angle for flat plate solar collectors in Iran. Journal of Renewable Sustainable Energy, 4, 215-223.
- Jakhrani, A.Q., Samo, S.R., Rigit, A.R.H., Kamboh, S.A. (2013) Selection of models for calculation of incident solar radiation on tilted surface. World Applied Sciences Journal, 22(9), 1334-1343.
- Khahro, S.F., Tabbassum, K., Talpur, S., Alvi, M.B., Liao, X., Dong, L. (2015) Evaluation of solar energy resources by establishing empirical models for diffuse solar radiation on tilted surface and analysis for optimum tilt angle for a prospective location in southern region of Sindh, Pakistan. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 64, 1073-1080.
- Klein, S.A. (1977) Calculation of monthly average insolation on tilted surfaces. Solar Energy, 19(4), 325-329.
- Klucher, T.M. (1979) Evaluation of models to predict insolation on tilted surfaces. Solar Energy, 23(2), 111-114.
- Kondratev, I.K.A. (1969) Diffuse Radiation of the Atmosphere. International Geophysics, 12, 363-410.
- Koronakis, P.S. (1986) On the choice of the angle of tilt for south facing solar collectors in the Athens basin area. Solar Energy, 36(3), 217-225.
- Krishna, S.M., Madhu, M.N., Mohan, V., Suresh, M.P.R., Singh, J.G. (2015) A generalized approach for enhaced solar energy harvesting using stochastic estimation of optimum tilt angles: a case study of Bangkok City. Green, 5, 1-6.
- Li, D.H.W., Lam, T.N.T. (2007) Determining the optimum tilt angle and orientation for solar energy collection based on measured solar radiance data. International Journal of Photoenergy, ID 85402, 9,
- Liu, B., Jordan, R. (1962) Daily insolation on surfaces tilted towards the equator. ASHREA, 67, 526-541. http://www.worldcat.org/title/daily-insolation-on-surfaces-tilted-towards-equator/.
- Liu, B.Y.H., Jordan, R.C. (1960) The interrelationship and characteristic distribution of direct, diffuse and total solar radiation. Solar Energy, 4 (3), 1-19.
- Mehleri, E.D., Zervas, P.L., Sarimveis, H., Palyvos, J.A., Markatos, N.C. (2010) Determination of the optimal tilt angle and orientation for solar photovoltaic arrays. Renewable Energy, 35(11), 2468-2475.
- Moghadam, H., Tabrizi, F.F., Sharak, A.Z. (2011) Optimization of solar flat collector inclination. Desalination, 265(1-3), 107-111.
- Muneer, T. (2004) Solar Radiation and Day Light Models, 2nd edn. Elsevier, Oxford.
- Naumann, E., Pireci, M. (2012) Identification of potential or application of solar energy technology in the municipality of Dragash. http://www.ks.undp.org/content/dam/kosovo/docs/dragash/…/02042012-Eng.pdf?doenload.
- Okoye, C.O., Taylan, O., Baker, D.K. (2016) Solar energy potentials in strategically located cities in Nigeria: Review, resource assessment and PV system design. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 55, 550-566.
- Paul W. S. Jr, William S. C., Taiping Z. (2016) Surface meteorology and Solar Energy (SSE), https://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/sse/documents/SSE6Methodology.pdf Accessed on 11 January 2017.
- Reindl, D.T., Beckman, W.A., Duffie, J.A. (1990) Evaluation of hourly tilted surface radiation models. Solar Energy, 45(1), 9-17.
- Robinson, D., Stone, A. (2004) Solar radiation modeling in the urban context. Solar Energy, 77(3), 295-309.
- Shariah, A., Al-Akhras, M.-A., Al-Omari, I.A. (2002) Optimizing the tilt angle of solar collectors. Renewable Energy, 26(4), 587-598.
- Sinha, S., Chandel, S.S. (2016) Analysis of fixed tilt and sun tracking photovoltaic-micro wind based hybrid power systems. Energy Conversion Management, 115, 265-275.
- Siraki, A.G., Pillay, P. (2012) Study of optimum tilt angles for solar panels in different latitudes for urban applications. Solar Energy, 86(6), 1920-1928.
- Skartveit, A., Olseth, A.J. (1986) Modelling slope irradiance at high latitudes. Solar Energy, 36(4), 333-344.
- Skeiker, K. (2009) Optimum tilt angle and orientation for solar collectors in Syria. Energy Conversion and Management, 50(9), 2439-2448.
- Soulayman, S and Sabbagh, W (2015) Optimum Tilt Angle at Tropical Region. Int. Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 4(1), 48-54.
- Stanciu, D., Stanciu, C., Paraschiv, I. (2016) Mathematical links between optimum solar collector tilts in isotropic sky for intercepting maximum solar irradiance. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 137, 58-65.
- Steven, M.D., Unsworth, M.H. (1980) The angular distribution and interception of diffuse solar radiation below overcast skies. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 106, 57-61.
- Tamimi, A., Sowayan, A. (2012) Optimum Tilt Angles of Flat-plate Solar Collectors at Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 34(13), 1213-1221.
- Tang, R., Wu, T. (2004) Optimal tilt-angles for solar collectors used in China. Applied Energy, 79(3), 239-248.
- Tian, Y.Q., Davies-Colley, R.J., Gong, P., Thorold, B.W. (2001) Estimating solar radiation on slopes of arbitrary aspect. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 109(1), 67-74.
- Vieira, R.G., Guerra, F.K.O.M.V., Vale, M.R.B.G., Araújo, M.M. (2016) Comparative performance analysis between static solar panels and single-axis tracking system on a hot climate region near to the equator. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 64, 672-681.
- World Bank Group (2017) Solargis & Energy Sector Management Assistance Program. Poster Maps for Kosovo, http://globalsolaratlas.info/downloads/kosovo Accessed on 21 February 2017.
- Widén, J. (2009) Distributed photovoltaic in the Swedish energy system. Licentiate thesis, Uppsala University Sweden.
- Yakup, M.A. bin H.M., Malik, A.Q. (2001) Optimum tilt angle and orientation for solar collector in Brunei Darussalam. Renewable Energy, 24(2), 223-234.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.