Design and Economic Analysis of a Photovoltaic System: A Case Study
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
This paper presents the design analysis of a photovoltaic (PV) system to power the CAD/CAM Laboratory at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Port Harcourt. Life cycle cost and break-even point analyses are also carried out to assess the economic viability of the system. The unit cost of electricity for the designed PV system is high compared to the current unit cost of the municipally supplied electricity, but will be competitive with lowering cost of PV system components and favourable government policies on renewable energy. The approach and data provided are useful for designing solar systems in the area. The automated MS Excel spreadsheet developed could be used for the design and economic analyses of PV system in any other geographical region once the input data are sorted. Since about 90% of businesses in Nigeria currently own diesel generators, it is expected that future work should be devoted to the optimum combination of PV-Battery-Diesel system in electricity generation for optimum economic benefits to the country.
Keywords: photovoltaic system design, renewable energy technology, solar energy economics
- Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (2005) Nigeria: Expanding Access to Rural Infrastructure Issues and Options for Rural Electrification, Water Supply and Telecommunications, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Angelis-Dimakis A, Biberacher M, Dominguez J, Fiorese G, Gadocha S, Gnansounou E, Guariso G, Kartalidis A, Panichelli L, Pinedo I, and Robba M (2011) Methods and tools to evaluate the availability of renewable energy sources. J. Renewable and Sust. Energy Reviews Vol.15: 1182-1200.
- Kolhe M, Kolhe S, and Joshi JC (2002) Economic Viability of Stand-alone Solar Photovoltaic System in Comparison with Diesel-powered System for India. J. Energy Economics, 24 (2): 155-165.
- Ajan CW, Ahmed SS, Ahmad HBTF, and Mohd Zin AAB (2003) On the policy of photovoltaic and diesel generation mix for an off-grid site: East Malaysian perspectives. J. Solar Energy, 74: 453-467.
- Nafeh AA (2009) Design and Economic Analysis of a stand-alone PV system to electrify a remote area household in Egypt. Open Renewable Energy Journal, 2: 33-37.
- Markvart T (2000) Solar Electricity, Wiley, London.
- Ojosu JO (1990) The Iso-radiation Map for Nigeria. J. Solar and Wind Tech., 7 (5): 563-575.
- Augustine C and Nnabuchi MN (2009) Relationship between global solar radiation and sunshine hours for Calabar, Port Harcourt and Enugu, Nigeria. Int. Journal of Physical Sci., 4 (4): 182-188.
- Assad A (2010) A Stand-Alone Photovoltaic System, Case Study: A Residence in Gaza. J. of Applied Sciences in Environmental Sanitation, 5 (1): 81-91.
- Abd El-Shafy AN (2009) Design and Economic Analysis of a Stand-Alone PV System to Electrify a Remote Area Household in Egypt. The Open Ren. Energy Journal, 2: 33-37.
- Alamsyah TMI, Sopian K, Shahrir A (2003) In Technoeconomics Analysis of a Photovoltaic System to Provide Electricity for a Household in Malaysia. Proceedings in International Symposium on Renewable Energy: Environment Protection & Energy Solution for Sustainable Development, Kuola Lumpur, 387-396.
- Oko COC and Ogoloma OB (2011) Generation of Typical Meteorological Year for Port Harcourt Zone. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 6(2): 204-214.
- Wenham SR, Green MA, Watt ME (1994) Applied Photovoltaics, Centre for Photovoltaic Devices and Systems, Sydney.
- Mahmoud MM, Ibrik IH (2006) Techno-economic Feasibility of Energy Supply to Remote Villages in Palestine by PV-Systems, Diesel Generator and Electri Grid. Renewable Sustainable Energy Rev., 10: 128-138.
- Messenger R, and Ventre J (2000) Photovoltaic Systems Engineering, CRC Press LLC: Boca Raton, Florida.
- Al-Smairan M, Al-Adamat R, and Al-Nhoud O (2012) Techno-Economic Feasibility of Energy Supply of Remote Dump Site in Jordan Badia by Photovoltaic Systems, Diesel Generators and Electrical Grid. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4(9): 1073-1081.
- Oko COC and Nnamchi SN (2012) Optimum Collector Tilt Angles for Low Latitudes. The Open Renewable Energy Journal, 5: 7-14.
- Trading Economics (2011) World Economic Index, www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria [accessed 06/11/11].
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.