Synthesis of Zeolite from Sugar Cane as Detergent Builder: Variation of Si/Al Ratio and Hydrothermal TimeSynthesis of Zeolite from Sugar Cane as Detergent Builder: Variation of Si/Al Ratio and Hydrothermal Time
License URL: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Synthesis of zeolite from bagasse with variation of Si / Al ratio (1,2,1,4,1,6 and 1,8) with ZS1-ZS5 code and hydrothermal time (160, 190, 250, 340, and 460 minutes) with sample code ZSa - ZSe has been conducted. The synthesized zeolite was then applied to the detergent builder. The detergent builder of synthetic zeolite was used as a substitute for sodium tripolyphosphate, which is not environmentally friendly as it can lead to eutrophication. One of the detergent builder functions is to improve the washing efficiency of the surfactant by inactivating water-absorbing minerals (Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions) which may further deter the detergency process. Zeolites were synthesized using a sol-gel method followed by a hydrothermal process. The material used in this synthesis is Na2SiO3(aq) (derived from bagasse) mixed with NaAl(OH)4(aq), then stirred to form a white gel and continued by heating using autoclave at 100°C. The results obtained are zeolite-A and zeolt-X for variation of Si/Al ratio and hydrothermal time variation, with CEC value and detergency proportional to Si/Al ratio and hydrothermal time.
- Wempie Gressangga, Suhartana Suhartana, Parsaoran Siahaan, Studi Kemampuan Adsorpsi Zeolit Alam Terdealuminasi terhadap Senyawa Fenol dan 2-Metoksifenol pada Asap Cair Sekam Padi: Eksperimen dan Komputasi AB Initio, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 14, 3, (2011) 94-99
- Muslimin Muslimin, Taslimah Taslimah, Rahmad Nuryanto, Studi Pembuatan dan Karakterisasi Membran Pervaporasi Berbahan Dasar Zeolit Alam, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 17, 2, (2014) 65-69
- Claudia Belviso, Francesco Cavalcante, Antonio Lettino, Saverio Fiore, Zeolite synthesised from fused coal fly ash at low temperature using seawater for crystallization, Coal Combustion and Gasification Products, 1, 1, (2009) 8-1 http://dx.doi.org/10.4177/CCGP-D-09-00004.1
- Fitri Lutfiana Rahayu, Rahmad Nuryanto, Linda Suyati, Pengaruh Diameter Kanal Pelet Katalis Zeolit Aktif dan Ni-Zeolit terhadap Pirolisis Limbah Batang Pohon Sagu (Metroxylonsp.), Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 16, 1, (2013) 33-37
- J. S. Udhoji, Amit Kumar Bansiwal, S. U. Meshram, S. S. Rayalu, Improvement in optical brightness of fly ash based zeolite-A for use as detergent builder, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 64, (2005) 367-371
- Sanja Bosnar, Josip Bronić, Đurđica Brlek, Boris Subotić, Chemically controlled particulate properties of zeolites: Towards the face-less particles of zeolite A. 2. Influence of aluminosilicate batch concentration and alkalinity of the reaction mixture (hydrogel) on the size and shape of zeolite A crystals, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 142, 1, (2011) 389-397 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2010.12.027
- Cleo Kosanović, Tatjana Antonić Jelić, Josip Bronić, Damir Kralj, Boris Subotić, Chemically controlled particulate properties of zeolites: Towards the face-less particles of zeolite A. Part 1. Influence of the batch molar ratio [SiO2/Al2O3]b on the size and shape of zeolite A crystals, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 137, 1, (2011) 72-82 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2010.08.024
- Chandra Wahyu Purnomo, Chris Salim, Hirofumi Hinode, Synthesis of pure Na–X and Na–A zeolite from bagasse fly ash, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 162, (2012) 6-13 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2012.06.007
- L Shirazi, E Jamshidi, MR Ghasemi, The effect of Si/Al ratio of ZSM‐5 zeolite on its morphology, acidity and crystal size, Crystal Research and Technology, 43, 12, (2008) 1300-1306
- Ramsharan Singh, Prabir K Dutta, MFI: a case study of zeolite synthesis, Handbook of Zeolite Science and Technology, 35, (2003) 21-64
- Keka Ojha, Narayan C. Pradhan, Amar Nath Samanta, Zeolite from fly ash: synthesis and characterization, Bulletin of Materials Science, 27, 6, (2004) 555-564 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/bf02707285
- Halimaton Hamdan, Introduction to Zeolites: Synthesis, Characterization, and Modification, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kualalumpur, 1992.