Removal of Methylene Blue Using Used Paper Powder
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
Methylene blue removal by adsorption method had been done in batch method using adsorbent of used paper powder. Adsorption parameters covering adsorbent doses, contact times, pH, adsorbate concentrations and adsorption isotherm as well as desorption study of the absorbed methylene blue were evaluated. The results showed the highest adsorption of methylene blue was obtained at an optimum adsorbent dose, for 30 min at pH > 9. The maximum adsorption capacity of 30.77 mg/g was obtained with Langmuir isotherm model. While the effective methylene blue desorption on the used paper powder adsorbent was obtained c.a. 0.27 mg/g at pH 1.
- Yun Xing, Dong Liu and Li-Ping Zhang, Enhanced adsorption of Methylene Blue by EDTAD-modified sugarcane bagasse and photocatalytic regeneration of the adsorbent, Desalination, 259, 1, (2010) 187-191 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.04.008
- E. S. Z. El-Ashtoukhy and Y. O. Fouad, Liquid–liquid extraction of methylene blue dye from aqueous solutions using sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonate as an extractant, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 54, 1, (2015) 77-81 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2014.11.007
- Jingjun Pan, Busing Han and Haike Yan, Adsorption of Methylene Blue on Montmorillonite AU - Chen, Guangming, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, 20, 4, (1999) 1179-1187 http://doi.org/10.1080/01932699908943843
- Desriana Chrisyanti, Gunawan Gunawan and Abdul Haris, Blue Methylene Retrieval using Silica-Salicylic Acid Modified Filtering, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 21, 1, (2018) 19-23 http://dx.doi.org/10.14710/jksa.21.1.19-23
- Yanhui Li, Qiuju Du, Tonghao Liu, Jiankun Sun, Yonghao Wang, Shaoling Wu, Zonghua Wang, Yanzhi Xia and Linhua Xia, Methylene blue adsorption on graphene oxide/calcium alginate composites, Carbohydrate Polymers, 95, 1, (2013) 501-507 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.01.094
- Galih N. R. Pargiman, Arnelli Arnelli and Yayuk Astuti, Adsorption of HDTMA-Br surfactant with concentration variation by rice husk-based activated carbon produced by variation of carbonization temperature, Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi, 21, 4, (2018) 171-174 http://dx.doi.org/10.14710/jksa.21.4.171-174
- David William O’Connell, Colin Birkinshaw and Thomas Francis O’Dwyer, Heavy metal adsorbents prepared from the modification of cellulose: A review, Bioresource Technology, 99, 15, (2008) 6709-6724 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.01.036
- Retno Agnestisia, Noer Komari and Sunardi, Adsorpsi Fosfat (PO43-) Menggunakan Selulosa Purun Tikus (Eleocharis Dulcis) Termodifikasi Heksadesiltrimetilammonium Bromida (HDTMABr), Jurnal Sains dan Terapan Kimia, 12, 2, (2012) 71-86
- Triana Kusumaningsih, Abu Masykur and Roni Supriyanto, Adsorpsi Zat Warna Remazol Yellow FG pada Limbah Tekstil oleh Alang-alang (Imperata cylindrica (L.) Raeush), Biofarmasi, 4, 1, (2006) 27-33 http://doi.org/10.13057/biofar/f040106
- Mardiah Mardiah and Rif’an Fathoni, Adsorpsi Logam Cu(II) dan Fe(II) Meggunakan Kertas Koran Bekas, Jurnal Integrasi Proses, 6, 2, (2016) 89-94
- Yasemin Bulut and Haluk Aydın, A kinetics and thermodynamics study of methylene blue adsorption on wheat shells, Desalination, 194, 1, (2006) 259-267 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.10.032
- Smilja Marković, Ana Stanković, Zorica Lopičić, Slavica Lazarević, Mirjana Stojanović and Dragan Uskoković, Application of raw peach shell particles for removal of methylene blue, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 3, 2, (2015) 716-724 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2015.04.002
- Manel Bergaoui, Asma Nakhli, Yacine Benguerba, Mohamed Khalfaoui, Alessandro Erto, Felycia Edi Soetaredjo, Suryadi Ismadji and Barbara Ernst, Novel insights into the adsorption mechanism of methylene blue onto organo-bentonite: Adsorption isotherms modeling and molecular simulation, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 272, (2018) 697-707 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2018.10.001
- Puspita Hidayati, Ita Ulfin and Hendro Juwono, Adsorpsi Zat Warna Remazol Brilliant Blue R Menggunakan Nata de coco : Optimasi Dosis Adsorben dan Waktu Kontak, Jurnal Sains dan Seni ITS, 5, 2, (2016) C134-136 http://doi.org/10.12962/j23373520.v5i2.18153
- Subrata Kundu, Sujit Kumar Ghosh, Madhuri Mandal and Tarasankar Pal, Reduction of methylene blue (MB) by ammonia in micelles catalyzed by metal nanoparticles, New Journal of Chemistry, 27, 3, (2003) 656-662 http://doi.org/10.1039/B207428A
- Andrea A. Hoffmann, Silvio L. P. Dias, Jordana R. Rodrigues, Flavio A. Pavan, Edilson V. Benvenutti and Eder C. Lima, Methylene blue immobilized on cellulose acetate with titanium dioxide: an application as sensor for ascorbic acid, Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, 19, 5, (2008) 943-949 http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0103-50532008000500020
- S. Rangabhashiyam, E. Nakkeeran, N. Anu and N. Selvaraju, Biosorption potential of a novel powder, prepared from Ficus auriculata leaves, for sequestration of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions, Research on Chemical Intermediates, 41, 11, (2015) 8405-8424 http://doi.org/10.1007/s11164-014-1900-6
- Senthil Kumar Ponnusamy and Ramalingam Subramaniam, Process optimization studies of Congo red dye adsorption onto cashew nut shell using response surface methodology, International Journal of Industrial Chemistry, 4, 1, (2013) 17 10.1186/2228-5547-4-17
- Gilbert William Castellan, Physical Chemistry, Addison-Wesley, 1983.
- B. H. Hameed and A. A. Ahmad, Batch adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by garlic peel, an agricultural waste biomass, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 164, 2, (2009) 870-875 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.08.084
- V. Vadivelan and K. Vasanth Kumar, Equilibrium, kinetics, mechanism, and process design for the sorption of methylene blue onto rice husk, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 286, 1, (2005) 90-100 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2005.01.007
- F. A. Batzias and D. K. Sidiras, Dye adsorption by calcium chloride treated beech sawdust in batch and fixed-bed systems, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 114, 1, (2004) 167-174 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2004.08.014
- Vinod K. Gupta, Alok Mittal, Rajeev Jain, Megha Mathur and Shalini Sikarwar, Adsorption of Safranin-T from wastewater using waste materials— activated carbon and activated rice husks, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 303, 1, (2006) 80-86 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.07.036
- Souvik Banerjee and M. G. Dastidar, Use of jute processing wastes for treatment of wastewater contaminated with dye and other organics, Bioresource Technology, 96, 17, (2005) 1919-1928 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.01.039
- Sastrohamidjojo Hardjono, Spektroskopi, Liberty, Yogyakarta, 1991.
- Clifford J. Creswell, Olaf Allan Runquist and Malcolm M. Campbell, Spectral Analysis of Organic Compounds: An Introductory Programmed Text, Longman, 1972.
- Maria Cristina Area and Hervé Cheradame, Paper aging and degradation: recent findings and research methods, BioResources, 6, 4, (2011) 5307-5337
- Fernando Wypych and Kestur Gundappa Satyanarayana, Clay Surfaces: Fundamentals and Applications, Elsevier Science, 2004.
- Mohammad A. Al-Ghouti, Juiki Li, Yousef Salamh, Nasir Al-Laqtah, Gavin Walker and Mohammad N. M. Ahmad, Adsorption mechanisms of removing heavy metals and dyes from aqueous solution using date pits solid adsorbent, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 176, 1, (2010) 510-520 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.11.059
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to JKSA and the Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro University as the publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc., will be allowed only with a written permission from JKSA and the Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro University. However, the author has the right to the following:
- Duplicate all or part of the published material for use by the author himself as a classroom instruction or verbal presentation material in various forums;
- reusing part or all of the material as a compilation material for author's work;
- make copies of published material to be distributed within the institute where the author works.
JKSA and the Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro University and the Editors make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in JKSA journal are the sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.
The Copyright Transfer Form can be downloaded here: [Copyright Transfer Form JKSA]. The copyright form should be signed originally and send to the Editorial Office in the form of original mail, scanned document or fax :
Dr. Adi Darmawan (Editor in Chief)
Editorial Office of Jurnal Kimia Sains dan Aplikasi (JKSA)
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Sciences and Mathematics, Diponegoro UniversityJl. Prof. Soedarto, Kampus Undip Tembalang, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia 50275