MPPT Schemes for PV System under Normal and Partial Shading Condition: A Review
Article Metrics: (Click on the Metric tab below to see the detail)
The photovoltaic system is one of the renewable energy device, which directly converts solar radiation into electricity. The I-V characteristics of PV system are nonlinear in nature and under variable Irradiance and temperature, PV system has a single operating point where the power output is maximum, known as Maximum Power Point (MPP) and the point varies on changes in atmospheric conditions and electrical load. Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) is used to track MPP of solar PV system for maximum efficiency operation. The various MPPT techniques together with implementation are reported in literature. In order to choose the best technique based upon the requirements, comprehensive and comparative study should be available. The aim of this paper is to present a comprehensive review of various MPPT techniques for uniform insolation and partial shading conditions. Furthermore, the comparison of practically accepted and widely used techniques has been made based on features, such as control strategy, type of circuitry, number of control variables and cost. This review work provides a quick analysis and design help for PV systems.
Article History: Received March 14, 2016; Received in revised form June 26th 2016; Accepted July 1st 2016; Available online
How to Cite This Article: Sameeullah, M. and Swarup, A. (2016). MPPT Schemes for PV System under Normal and Partial Shading Condition: A Review. Int. Journal of Renewable Energy Development, 5(2), 79-94.http://dx.doi.org/10.14710/ijred.5.2.79-94
- Kumar, A., Gomathinayagam, S., Giridhar, G., Mitra, I., Vashita, R., Meyer, R., Schwandt, M. & Chhatbar, K. (2014) Field experiences with operation of solar radiation resource assessment stations in India. Energy Procedia, 49, 2351-2361.
- NREL (2014) Research cell efficiency records 2014 http://www.nrel.gov/ncpv/pdfs/cell_efficiency_explanatory_notes.pdf
- Esram, T., & Chapman, P. L (2007) Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 22 (2), 439-449.
- Aureliano, M., Brito, G., Galotto, L., Sampaio, L.P., Melo, G.A., & Canesin, C.A. (2013) Evaluation of the main MPPT techniques for photovoltaic applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 60 (3), 1156-1167.
- Salas, V., Olias, E., Barado, A., & Lazaro, A. (2006) Review of the maximum power point tracking algorithms for stand-alone photovoltaic system. Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 90 (11), 1555-1578.
- Mohanty, P., Bhuvaneswari, G., Balasubremanian, R., & Dhaliwal, N.K. (2014), MATLAB based modeling to study the performance of different techniques used for solar PV system under various operating conditions. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 38, 581-593.
- Rawat, R., & Chandel, S.S. (2013) Review of Maximum Power Point Techniques for Solar Photovoltaic Systems. Energy Technologies, 1 (8), 438-448.
- Villalva, M.G., Gazoli, J.F, & Filho, E.R. (2009) Comprehensive Approach to modeling and simulation of photovoltaic arrays. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 24 (5), 1198-1208.
- Lobera, D.T., & Valkealahti, S. (2014) Inclusive dynamic thermal and electric simulation model of solar PV systemsunder varying atmospheric conditions. Solar Energy, 105, 632-647.
- Ishaque, K., Salam, Z., & Syafruddin (2011) A comprehensive MATLAB simulink PV system simulator with partial shading capability based on two diode model. Solar Energy, 85 (9), 2217-2227.
- Subidhi, B., & Pradhan, R. (2012) A comparative study on solar array parameter extraction methods. Inderscience International Journal of Renewable Energy Technolgy, 3, 295–315.
- Leedy, A.W., & Garcia, K.E. (2013) Approximation of P-V characteristic curves for use in maximum power point tracking algorithms. 45th Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, Waco, 88-93.
- Khatib, T.T.N., Mohamed, A., & Amim, N. (2010) An Improved indirect maximum power point tracking method for standalone photovoltaic systems. 9th WSEAS International Conference on Application of Electrical Engineering, Penang, 56-62, 23-25.
- Masoum, M.A.S., Dehbonei, H., & Fuchs, E.F. (2002) Theoretical and experimental analyses of photovoltaic systems with voltage and current based MPPT. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 17 (4), 514-522.
- Ahmad, J. (2010) A fractional open circuit voltage based maximum power point tracker for photovoltaic arrays. International Conference on Soft Technology and Engineering, San Juan, 247-250.
- Adly, M., El-Sherif, H., & Ibrahim, M. (2011) Maximum Power Point Tracker for a PV cell using a fuzzy agent adapted by the Fractional open circuit voltage technique. IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy System, Taipei, 1918-1922.
- Piao, Z.G., Gong, S.J., An, Y.H., & Bae Cho, G. (2013) A study on the PV simulator using equivalent circuit model and look-up table hybrid method. International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, Busan, 2128-2131.
- Altas, I.H., & Sharaf, A.M. (1996) A novel on-line MPP search algorithm for PV arrays. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversions, 11 (4), 748-754.
- Mastromauro, R.A., Liserre, M. & Dell’Aquila, A. (2012) Control issues in single-stage photovoltaic systems: MPPT, current and voltage control.
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 8 (2), 241-254.
- Chen, Y., & Smedley, K.M. (2004) A cost-effective single-stage inverter with maximum power point tracking. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 19 (5), 1289-1294.
- Karanjkar, D.S., Chatterji, S., & Kumar, A. (2013) An improved current feedback based maximum power point tracking controller for solar photo-voltaic system. International Conference on Microelectronics, Communication and Renewable Energy, Kanjirapally, 1-6.
- Hua, C., Lin, J., & Sen, C. (1998) Implementation of DSP-controlled photovoltaic system with peak power tracking. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 45 (1), 99-107.
- Jie, D., Chun-jiang, Z., & Yan-bang, L. (2012) Comparison of duty ratio perturbation & observation and reference voltage perturbation & observation methods applied in MPPT. IEEE 7th International Power Electronic and Motion Control Conference, 1358-1362.
- Safari, A., & Maekhilef, S. (2011) Simulation and hardware implementation of incremental conductance MPPT using CUK converter. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58 (4), 1154-1161.
- Sera, D., Mathe, L., Kerekes, T., Viorel, S., & Teodorescu, R. (2013) On the perturb-and-observe and incremental conductance MPPT for PV systems. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 3 (3), 1070-1078.
- Kajaer, S.B. (2013) Evaluation of the “hill climbing” and the “incremental conductance maximum power points trackers for photovoltaic power systems. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27 (4), 922-929.
- Hohm, D.P, & Roop, M.E. (2000) Comparative study of maximum power point tracking algorithms using an experimental, programmable, maximum power point tracking test bed. 28th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, Anchorage, 1699-1702.
- Brambilla, A., Gambarara, M., Garutti, A., & Ronchi, F. (1999) New approach to photovoltaic arrays maximum power point tracking. 30th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialist Conference, Charleston, 632-637.
- Mamarelis, M., Petrone, G., & Spagnuolo, G. (2014) Design of sliding-mode-controlled SSEPIC for PV MPPT applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 61 (7), 3387-3398.
- Cabal, C., Martinez-Salamero, L., Seguir, L., & Alonso C. (2004) Maximum power point tracking based on sliding-mode control for output-series connected converters in photovoltaic systems. IET Power Electronics, 7 (4), 914-923.
- Hajighorbani, S., Radzi, M.A.M., Ab Kadir, M.Z.M, Shafie, S., Khanaki, R., & Maghami, M.R. (2014) Evaluation of fuzzy logic subsets effects on maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic system. International Journal of Photoenergy, 2014, 1-13.
- Abdourraziq, S., & El. Bachtiri Rachid (2014) A perturb and observe method using fuzzy logic control for PV pumping system. International Conference on Multimedia Computation and Systems, Marrakech, 1608-1612.
- Atiqi, M.A., Zainuri, M., Amran, M., Radzi, M., Che Soh, A., & Rahim, A.B. (2014) Development of adaptive perturb and observe-fuzzy control maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic boost dc–dc converter. IET Renewable Power Generation, 8 (2), 183-194.
- Kulaksiz, A.A., & Akkaya, R. (2012) A genetic algorithm optimized ANN based MPPT algorithm for a stnad-alone PV system with induction motor drive. Solar Energy, 86, 2366-2375.
- Lin, W., Hong, C., & Chen, C.H. (2011) Neural-network-based MPPT control of a stand-alone hybrid power generation system. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 26 (12), 3571-3581.
- Farhat, S., Alaoui, R., Kahaji, A., & Bouhouch, L. (2013) Estimating the photovoltaic MPPT by artificial neural network. International Conference on Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Ouarzazate, 49-53.
- Ocran, T.A., Junyi, C., Binggang, C., & Xinghua, S. (2005) Artificial neural network maximum power point tracker for solar electric vehicle. Tsinghua Science and Technology, 10 (2), 204-208.
- Kollimalla, S.K., & Mishra, M.K. (2014) A novel adaptive P&O MPPT algorithm considering sudden changes in the irradiance. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 29 (3), 602-610.
- Lee, K.J., & Kim, R.Y. (2012) An adaptive maximum power point tracking scheme based on a variable scaling factor for photovoltaic systems. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27 (4), 1002-1008.
- Mei, Q., Shan, M., Liu, L. & Guerrero, J.M. (2011) A novel improved variable step-size incremental-resistance MPPT methods for PV systems. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58 (6), 2427-2434.
- Zhang, F., Thanapalan, K., Procter, A., Carr, S., & Maddy, J. (2013) Adaptive hybrid Maximum Power Point Tracking method for a photovoltaic system. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 28 (2), 353-360.
- Iqbal, A., Abu-Rub, H., & Ahmed, S.M. (2010) Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system based maximum power point tracking of a solar PV module. IEEE International Energy Conference, Manama, 51-56.
- Jiang, L.L., Nayanasiri, D.R., Maskell, D.L., & Vilathgamuwa, D.M. (2013) A simple and efficient hybrid maximum power point tracking method for PV systems under partially shaded condition. 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Vienna, 1513-1518.
- Xiao Li, Yaoyu Li, & Seem, J.E. (2013) Maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic system using adaptive extremum seeking control. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems and Technology, 21 (6), 2315-2322.
- Patel, H., & Agarwal, V. (2008) Matlab-based modeling to study the effects of partial shading on PV array characteristics. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 23 (1), 302-310.
- Ding, K., Bian, X.G., Liu, H.H, & Peng, T. (2012) A matlab-simulink-based PV module model and its application under conditions of nonuniform Irradiance. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27 (4), 864-872.
- Dolara, A., Lazaroiu, G.C., Leva, S., & Manzolini, G. (2013) Experimental investigation of partial shading scenarios of PV (photovoltaic) modules. Energy, 55, 466-475.
- Koutroulis, E., & Blaabjerg, F. (2012) A new technique for tracking the global maximum power point of PV arrays operating under partial shading conditions. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2 (2), 184-190.
- Shah, N., & Chudamani, R., (2012) A novel algorithm for global peak power point tracking in partially shaded grid-connected PV system. IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy, Malaysia, 558-563.
- Sobhana, G., Sornadeepika, P., & Ramaprabha, R. (2013) Global maximum power point tracking of photovoltaic array under partial shaded conditions. International Journal of Engineering Research, 2 (2), 219-223.
- Patel, H., & Agarwal, V. (2008) Maximum power point tracking scheme for PV systems operating under partially shaded conditions. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 55 (4), 1689-1698.
- Ji, Y.H., Jung, D.Y., Kim, J.G., Kim, J.H., Lee, T.W., & Won, C.Y. (2011) A real Maximum power point tracking method for mismatching compensation in PV array under partially shaded conditions. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 26 (4) 1001-1009.
- Jun Qi, Zhang, Y., & Chen, Y. (2014) Modeling and maximum power point tracking (MPPT) method for PV array under partial shaded conditions. Renewable Energy, 66, 337-345.
- Miyatake, M., Inada, T., Hiratsuka, I., Zhao, H. Otsuka, H. and Nakano, M. (2004) Control characteristics of a Fibonacci – search based maximum power point tracker when a photovoltaic array is partially shaded. 4th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, Xi’an, 816-821.
- Ahmed, N.A., and Miyatake, M. (2008) A novel maximum power point tracking for photovoltaic applications under partially shaded insolation conditions. Electric Power System Research, 78, 777-784.
- Ramaprabha, R., Mathur, B., Ravi, A., & Aventika, S. (2010) Modified Fibonacci search based MPPT scheme for SPVA under partial shaded conditions. International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, Goa, 379-384.
- Liu, Y.H., Huang, S.C., Huang, J.W., & Liang, W.C. (2012) A particle swarm optimization-based maximum power point tracking algorithm for PV systems operating under partially shaded conditions. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 27 (4), 1027-1035.
- Ishaque, K., and Islam, Z. (2013) A Deterministic particle swarm optimization maximum power point tracker for Photovoltaic system under partial shading condition. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 60 (8) 3195-3206.
- Lian, K.L., Jhang, J.H., & Tian, I.S. (2014) A maximum power point tracking method based on perturb – and – observe combined with particle swarm optimization, IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 4 (2), 626-633.
- Sharma, P., and Agarwal, V. (2014) Exact maximum power point tracking of grid-connected partially shaded PV source using current compensation concept. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29 (9), 4684-4692.
- Chen, C.W., Chen, K.H., & Chen, Y.M. (2014) Modeling and controller design of an autonomous PV module for DMPPT PV systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29 (9), 4723-4732.
- Xiao, W., Ozog, N., & Dunford, W.G. (2007) Topology study of photovoltaic interface for maximum power point tracking. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 54 (3), 2007.
- Bratcu, A.I., Munteanu, I.M., Bacha, S., Picault, D., & Raison, B., (2011) Cascade DC-DC converter photovoltaic systems: power optimization issues. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58 (2), 403-411.
- Villa, L.F.L., Picault, D., Raison, B., Bacha, S., & Labonne, A. (2012) Maximizing the power output of partially shaded photovoltaic plants through optimization of the interconnections among its modules. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2, (2), 154-163.
- Modballegh, S., & Jang, J. (2014) Modeling, prediction, and experimental validations of power peaks of PV arrays under partial shading conditions. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 5 (1) 293-300.
- Picault, D., Raison, B., Bacha, S., Aguilera, J., & Casa, J.D.L. (2010) Changing photovoltaic array interconnections to reduce mismatch losses: a case study. 9th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering, 37-40.
- Syafaruddin, Karatepe, E., & Hiyama, T. (2009) Artificial neural network-polar coordinator fuzzy controller based maximum power point tracking control under partially shaded conditions. IET Renewable Power Generation, 3 (2), 239-253.
- Chen K., Tian, S., Cheng, Y., & Bai, L. (2014) An improved MPPT controller for photovoltaic system under partial shading condition. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 5 (3), 978-985.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.