Premixed combustion of coconut oil in a hele-shaw cell
Coconut oil combustion characteristic is observed experimentally by evaporating oil in the boiler then mix it with air before being burned at various equivalence ratios in the Hele-shaw cell. The result shows that, coconut oil tends to break into glycerol and fatty acid due to hydrolysis reaction producing the flame propagation, where the fatty acid flame propagates first then glycerol flame. Micro-explosion occurs when moisture from fatty acid combustion is absorbed by glycerol and higher heating due to higher flame speed produces more micro-explosion.
- Abdulwahid, M., Khalid M. Saqr, Mohsin M. Sies and Haffis Ujir, 2009, Diffusive Thermal Instabilities of C4H10-C3H8/Air Laminar Premixed Flames
- Agarwal D, Agarwal A.K., Performance and emission characteristics of jatropha oil (preheated and blends) in a direct injection compression ignition engine. Appl Therm Eng 2007;27:2314–23.
- Cornet, I., Nero, W.E., 1955. Emulsified Fuels in Compression Ignition Engines. Int. Eng. Chem. 47 (1955) 2133–2141.
- Dee, V., Shaw B.D., 2004. Combustion of Propanol–Glycerol Mixture Droplets in Reduced Gravity. Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 47: 4857–4867.
- Kang, S.H., Baek, S.W., Im, H. G., 2006. Effects of heat and momentum losses on the stability of premixed ﬂames in a narrow channel. Combustion Theory and Modelling. Vol. 10, No. 4, August 2006, 659–681
- Kratzeisen M., Müller J., 2010. Influence of Free Fatty Acid Content of Coconut Oil on Deposit and Performance of Plant Oil Pressure Stoves. Fuel. 89: 1583–1589.
- Muniyappa, P.R., Brammer S.C., Noureddini H., 1996. Improved Conversion of Plant Oils and Animal Fats into Biodiesel and Co-product. Bioresour Technol. 56:19–24.
- Nam, H. and Alvarado, J.L., 2012, Microexplosion Detection in Hexadecane and Vegetable Oil Blends, Spring Technical Meeting of the Central States Section of the Combustion Institute April 22–24, 2012
- Özkan, M, Ergenç A.T, Deniz O., 2005. Experimental Performance Analysis of Biodiesel, Traditional Diesel and Biodiesel with Glycerine. Turkish J Eng Env Sci. 29: 89–94.
- Patel N., 2008. Virgin’s Coconut-Powered 747 Completes First Fight. Downloaded from http://www. engadget.com /2008/02/25/ virgins-coconut-powered-747-completes-ﬁrstﬂight/>.
- Sahoo, PK and Das L.M., 2009. Combustion Analysis of Jatropha, Karanja and Polanga Based Biodiesel as Fuel in a Diesel Engine. Fuel. 88: 994–9.
- Tanaka, H, Yamasaki H., Teraji S., Segawa D., Kadota T., 2005. Effect of Fuel Properties, Water Content and Surface Temperature on Micro-Explosion of Emulsion Droplet Burning on a Hot Surface. Trans Jpn Soc Mech Eng. 71(702):690–5 [in Japanese].
- Turner, D.W., and Siegmund, C. W., Control of NOx from fuel oil combustion：water in oil emulsion, Presented at The Winter Symposium of the IEC Division of the American Chemical Society, 1973.
- Wang, S.Y. Fu, L.J. Kung, C.K. Law, 2005, Combustion and microexplosion of collision-merged methanol/alkane droplets
- Wardana, I.N.G., 2010. Combustion Characteristics of Jatropha Oil Droplet at Various Oil Temperatures. Fuel. 89: 659–664,
- Xu, G, Ikegami M., Honma S., Ikeda K., Ma X., Nagaishi H., 2003. Inverse Inﬂuence of Initial Diameter on Droplet Burning Rate in Hot and Cold Ambiences: a Thermal Action of Flame in Balance with Heat Loss. Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 46:1155–69.
- Zhang, B.L., Williams F.A., 1998. Effects of the Lewis Number of Water Vapor on the Combustion and Extinction of Methanol Drops. Combust Flame. 112: 113–20.
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University.
International Journal of Renewable Energy Development and Center of Biomass and Renewable Energy, Department of Chemical Engineering Diponegoro University, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the International Journal of Renewable Energy Development are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.